God Save the Queen! And the Apron Airplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...Here hangar space, and now tiedown space, is becoming so tight the airport management is auditing hangars to make sure there is a plane or planes in them and not just being used as storage. No plane is pretty much immediate eviction. I think there is some allowances for people actively building or repairing a plane....
One advantage to living in an airpark. The only person who could conceivably evict me from my hangar is my wife, but then we wouldn't be living here anymore. Having a hangar is one of those things that makes living with the homeowner's association worthwhile.

Bigshu

Folks if you really want to save these planes you’re gonna have to tell us where they’re at.!

by the same token if any of you have rescued one or no the fate of one I’d like to hear the stories

There was one listed on craigslist somehow I think it was near Birmingham Alabama. It was listed on craigslist and we brought it up here I think it had been a PA 14 with a Ford V6 conversion
I called the lady I think her husband passed on and left two or three planes in the barn and after a while she had just decided to sell them

I don’t know why I didn’t buy it I wondered what happened since.

It’s those planes ,they’re sitting in the barn nobody but family in a few hunters know about That we need to get the stories out there
I think the problem is restoration can cost an arm and a leg, and then there's no hangar space available. The biggest thing keeping me from buying any aircraft is there's no place to put it. Building in the garage is fine for a homebuilt, but I can't keep a complete aircraft there.

C Michael Hoover

There are two hanger queens here at Pilot Country (X05). One is a Piper PA-28. The owner moved down from Boston area about 14 years ago. Flew the Piper down, parked in the hanger and it hasn't moved since. The other is a V35 that hasn't flown in well over 10 years. The owner kept it outside (one of only two homes without a hanger) for many years. A snowbird bought a home here a few years ago and now lets the owner keep it in his hanger when he is not in FL. The Bo has not been in annual and is probably not a good candidate for restoration FL humidity wreaks havoc on engines and aluminum.

Wolfen1176

There are two hanger queens here at Pilot Country (X05). One is a Piper PA-28. The owner moved down from Boston area about 14 years ago. Flew the Piper down, parked in the hanger and it hasn't moved since. The other is a V35 that hasn't flown in well over 10 years. The owner kept it outside (one of only two homes without a hanger) for many years. A snowbird bought a home here a few years ago and now lets the owner keep it in his hanger when he is not in FL. The Bo has not been in annual and is probably not a good candidate for restoration FL humidity wreaks havoc on engines and aluminum.
Is the pa28 possibly for sale? I have been looking for one for a time builder.

dwalker

HBA Supporter
I second what Wolfen said! I too have been looking for a time builder, hoping to hear back on a Cherokee in NY in the next few days, but no big hurry. I just realized I very well might go on after I finish my PPL to do the CFI program and will want something to build hours in while I am deciding.

Bill-Higdon

Not to mention the Magnesium control surfaces & moisture

speedracer

Not to mention the Magnesium control surfaces & moisture
I was going to mention that "M" word but you beat me to it. A local high end composite company was looking into STCing carbon skins for the ruddervators on those old Doctor Killers. I don't think they ever went through with it though. (I'm guessing) liability concerns?