God Save the Queen! And the Apron Airplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Ah'm gonna give ya my favorite fishing hole info, then. Dar Field, near Trinity, NC. Just south of High Point, NC. (half-way between HorneyTown and Climax, NC.) Yup, lots of jokes about that. (Head to the beach for "Half-Hell, NC"). Wonder if there is a "First Baptist Church of Half Hell?

Back to subject. Several sitting birds, a 152, a Chipmunk, the Chief, a couple of low wing Pipers, and a Beech or two. The strip owner is approached with great care, he is a decent guy, but a business man and does not like being bothered. Approach with caution.

Derswede

don january

Log Member
Here is a find today. Was South of highway 2 about 45 miles west of Grand forks N.D.and was looking for 2 brothers that own the old Elevator in Michigan City and there is a single wing for a Stearman left in the chemical shed for the mice to have a nice place to play so I went on a mission to see what the plans are with it because Michigan City has asked him to remove the Elevator and out buildings. I went down county rd 15 to find their farm and behold there is a Stearmsn tied up to 3 trees and by the looks it's been there for years. It still has its fabric and engine etc. apparently flown in ? Both farmers are a no show in the towns needs of clean up. I was welcomed by 3 dogs that looked real hungry and no response to me driving in the yard. I guess that is why I don't look much any more. When I found my Stinson HW75 I was contacted a couple years after getting the N number and ownership reassigned to me a gentlemen claiming the aircraft was stolen from him years ago called and wrote me. I didn't doubt the mans claim and offered him full access to my plane to help ease his concern. It turned out it was not so much the plane he was after but the truth on who flew it away and we found the person who flew it in had died many years ago and the alleged owner had no proof it was his and was at the age his flying days were long gone. The best thing about this experience to me was the fella found closer in this matter and the AC was in in his words 'good hands' . :pilot:

Marc W

My name is Marc and I own a hanger queen! Mind you that is not how it started out. I had a plan when I got it. I was going to finish my Thatcher project and then repair it and get it flying. The Thatcher is a never ending project and I haven't been able to repair the hanger queen. To add insult to injury, I finally decided that if I was going to fly before I die, I need to buy a flying airplane! Did my best. Fooled again! The new airplane is a project! Albeit a shorter project.

The hanger queen is an Acrosport that I saved from being scrapped. It was damaged in an off runway excursion. The owner told me that the bungees in the landing gear broke when he landed and the airplane took a hard right and plowed through the sagebrush and rocks alongside the runway. I wasn't around when this happened and I never was able to find out when it happened. All the hanger rats are old and have advanced CRS so none of them remember. The owner did start to repair it. He straightened out the rudder and made new shock struts for the landing gear. One wing needs the tip rib repaired and both lower wings need fabric repair. The wood prop was splintered so the engine, an 0-320, had a prop strike. It has also been sitting for an unknown number of years. The cowl, airbox and gascolater need repaired. It needs new brakes.

I got it when the owner announced that he was going to scrap it unless somebody wanted it. His wife didn't want him flying it anymore so he was going to give it away or scrap it. He intended to keep the instruments, wheels and engine. The main thing was he needed it out of his hanger immediately as he had another project coming. Nobody else wanted it so I took it the way it sat. He intended to get the parts off it later. I later bought the engine and he passed away before he got the parts off it. This is it as it sat in his hanger. One of these days I will get to it!

Acrosport 1.jpg

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
“One of these days”

dang I don’t know how many times I’ve said that

I guess it’s confessional time here I had a Cessna Cherokee parked in my field for quite a few years that I just never quite got around to doing all the things that needed to be dome.

Now to be honest it may not of spent all that time parked but after about 10 years of being out of annual The thought of an annual seemed pretty daunting and then someone came along and offered me more than I paid for it.
Hit me at exactly the right moment in exactly the right mood and I sold it.
Interesting sidenote about that airplane it was parked alongside the runway at Schaeffer metro for many many years the guy there told me that the owner used to fly to Branson once a year.
After I bought the plane it seemed like maybe the guy to get to do the annual would be the guy that had been doing the annual but although he had been signing off on annuals for the last 10 years I found out that he died eight years before before…..

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
There's a forlorn old DC-3 on the ramp here at KTHA. It appears it isn't completely abandoned because a few things have changed, but it's far from being a full on effort.

Instead of a hangar queen, how about a queen hangar? There's a big World War II hangar that's been wasting away for a long time, but they just started tearing the old roof (what's left of it) off to put a new one on. Word is the hangar has been added to the National Register of Historic Places and they're going to put a restaurant in there. Either it's going to be a huge restaurant or it's only going to take up a portion of the hangar, so I don't know what will happen with the rest. It'll be nice to see though, and I guess I can add a new location to 100dollarhamburger.

Tiger Tim

Another couple of happy ‘abandoned plane’ stories:

First up was a Champ that had been registered as a homebuilt back when you could still do that. It flew a bunch out of a farm strip up until the mid-eighties then the story goes that one night the owner’s kid had a party and some drunk dummy took a good swing at the windshield with a big wrench to see how strong it was. The next morning the owner found out what happened, tarped it over, and then put off fixing it since he had other airplanes to fly. The Champ sat for 25-ish years outside in all seasons, some winters being nearly completely buried in snow. Everyone ‘knew’ it was garbage and said all sorts of nasty things about whoever would take on such a project some day. A friend of mine bought it from the estate and I helped truck it home, giving me a front row seat to a lot of the harsh criticism about the plane. Six months later it was fully restored and flying, the engine having been in significantly better shape than anyone had expected and the covering was paid for by running seminars on fabric covering and using the Champ as the example. It flies to this day and while I don’t own it, I do have a bunch of time in it and continue to fly it.

The second was a Little Toot that was tied down in a guy’s front yard in the early nineties and he refused to sell. Again the airport gossips had nothing good to say about the plane but when the owner passed I told my friend with the restoration shop that I suspected it would be like the Champ all over again. Sure enough, when it was bought and towed to the hangar we found it to be in remarkable condition for something essentially abandoned outside for thirty years. It was well on track for another’s six month restoration but unfortunately the new owner passed earlier this year and the project was sold. I had the opportunity to get it for a song but I felt the right thing to do was try and get top dollar for the estate (to keep the rest of the collection together and flying) and I didn’t have the means to give top dollar at the time. As it was it went to an excellent home and if it isn’t flying now I imagine it will be soon.

I’m not sure what the moral here is. I’m not pushing to keep an ear to the ground for the inevitable estate sale, that’s morbid and often ends up disrespectful, vultures circling and all that. How about the moral of the story is that these old carbureted engines and fabric covered airframes are an awful lot more resilient than we give them credit for? If you know what you’re looking at and can value it accordingly, an ‘abandoned’ homebuilt can be a worthwhile deal if you consider your time worth nothing.

robertl

Folks if you really want to save these planes you’re gonna have to tell us where they’re at.!

by the same token if any of you have rescued one or no the fate of one I’d like to hear the stories

There was one listed on craigslist somehow I think it was near Birmingham Alabama. It was listed on craigslist and we brought it up here I think it had been a PA 14 with a Ford V6 conversion
I called the lady I think her husband passed on and left two or three planes in the barn and after a while she had just decided to sell them

I don’t know why I didn’t buy it I wondered what happened since.

It’s those planes ,they’re sitting in the barn nobody but family in a few hunters know about That we need to get the stories out there
I found a Cessna 152 but the owner lost the Data plate while they had the interior of the plane out to put new carpet in. The owner isn't interested in going to the trouble of getting another one, and the owner is the ONLY person that can request one. How lame is that ! Of course if they get another one, they'll want more $$$. It's sad.
Bob

challenger_II

Data plate, or the paper Airworthiness Certificate? I can't see any reason to drill out the rivets on the Data Plate for a carpet job...

I found a Cessna 152 but the owner lost the Data plate while they had the interior of the plane out to put new carpet in. The owner isn't interested in going to the trouble of getting another one, and the owner is the ONLY person that can request one. How lame is that ! Of course if they get another one, they'll want more $$$. It's sad.
Bob

challenger_II

This is a long post. Probably should be its own thread.

The Bell of the Ball

In the Spring of my life, I was introduced to a Lady. Easy on the eyes, slim lines, exuded charm, and drew a crowd of admirers every where she went. She stole my heart, immediately.
The Lady was the pride and joy of a thoughtful, caring man that was very attentive. He presented his mistress on many occasions, at many locations. As often happens, the years passed, and the man slowed down, and the mileage caught up to him. The Lady languished in her home, dreaming of her days travelling the countryside.
Now, in the Autumn of my life, I came across the Lady. The years have been good to her. Although she shows her aging, those are laugh lines, not worry lines. She is still her slim, sweet, self. Still the center of attention, where ever she goes.
After 25 years, I finally have my Sweetheart.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

This is a long post. Probably should be its own thread.

The Bell of the Ball

In the Spring of my life, I was introduced to a Lady. Easy on the eyes, slim lines, exuded charm, and drew a crowd of admirers every where she went. She stole my heart, immediately.
The Lady was the pride and joy of a thoughtful, caring man that was very attentive. He presented his mistress on many occasions, at many locations. As often happens, the years passed, and the man slowed down, and the mileage caught up to him. The Lady languished in her home, dreaming of her days travelling the countryside.
Now, in the Fall of my life, I came across the Lady. The years have been good to her. Although she shows her aging, those are laugh lines, not worry lines. She is still her slim, sweet, self. Still the center of attention, where ever she goes.
After 25 years, I finally have my Sweetheart.
One of the few ones from that era that I like

challenger_II

Bill, she's a relatively new build. Leon York, EAA #57 (not a typo!) built her in the Winter of 1991/92. Reading his builder's notes, and his records from the 40-hour fly-off, are worth the price of admission!
She is built from original Les Long Harlequin Longster plans, with a few tweaks to accommodate Leon's 6ft4in frame.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
“One of these days”

dang I don’t know how many times I’ve said that

I guess it’s confessional time here I had a Cessna Cherokee (edited to point out it was just a regular Cherokee )parked in my field for quite a few years that I just never quite got around to doing all the things that needed to be dome.

Now to be honest it may not of spent all that time parked but after about 10 years of being out of annual The thought of an annual seemed pretty daunting and then someone came along and offered me more than I paid for it.
Hit me at exactly the right moment in exactly the right mood and I sold it.
Interesting sidenote about that airplane it was parked alongside the runway at Schaeffer metro for many many years the guy there told me that the owner used to fly to Branson once a year.
After I bought the plane it seemed like maybe the guy to get to do the annual would be the guy that had been doing the annual but although he had been signing off on annuals for the last 10 years I found out that he died eight years before before…..
Dang what a fool he had a Cessna Cherokee!

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Story #1

Back in 1965 a friend and myself was wanting an airplane so bad we could taste it. I moved to Pittsburgh, Pa when I was 15 years old in 1955 and loafed at the Beaver Co airport when it was a little grass field running north and south. At Beaver co airport in 1965 there was a 1956 Cessna 172 tied down with a for sale sign. We looked at it several times, but with both of us having a young family, we just couldn't afford it. We left with our heads hanging down.
Fast forward to 1992. I had just sold the Ercoupe project to a man in CA and he came to WV to truck it home and I was looking for a new project. In Trade-A-Plane there was a Cessna 172 project for sale. Fuselage in a chicken house wings and engine in the woodwork shop and boxes of parts in the antic. Wife & I drove down to look at it. Price was right and I bought it and drive down a couple weeks latter with the truck and trailer and trucked it home.
Started really looking at the logs books and it was the same airplane my friend and myself wanted to buy back in 1965 and he bought it at Beaver Co . My daughter and I completely restored it to factory new. MOH on engine, new glass, new paint, new interior, all hardware new, new wiring, new every thing. Flew it for 3 years and sold it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Story #2

Knew a man in Ohio that owned an aircraft salvage yard. He kept telling me about a 1959 Cessna 172 that had been setting in a barn for 10 years. The owner bought it from Lane Aviation at Columbus , OH. ( Cessna dealer), after they had it in storage for many years before they sold it. He as almost 80 years old when he bought it and had a grass strip on his 500 acre farm and had a heart attack and flew it over the farm for a couple of years and he died. He was a close friend of the salvage owner's grandfather and told me he would let me know if the widow ever decided to sell it. One day he called and told me she decided to sell it and gave me her phone # and said she was expecting me to call.
Paid her what she wanted and since she leased the farm and the runway was plowed up , I had truck it home. The 172 had been flown for a total of 7 years. With 300 hrs on a factory re-man engine. Engine in perfect condition from setting and the airframe was just very dusty. New interior because the old was dry rotted. New paint and replaced all hardware and bolts. All glass as new. I believe it was the best 1959 Cessna 172 in existence and that was what the museum was looking for.
Flew it for a couple of years and sold to a museum in Berlin, Germany.

Attachments