God Save the Queen! And the Apron Airplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
The queen sets forlorn and forgotten in the hanger or on the apron.
Perhaps with each others help we might be able to rescue a few of these.
I have noticed that a lot of these require a very special circumstances be saved. Perhaps the owner only wants the airplane go to a relative of the original builder or he’s looking for somebody that’s going to take it on a tour of South Africa to finish up his dream.
Maybe he’d like someone to take better care of it but he wants to own it till the day he dies
Or perhaps it’s just simply going to sit there until he passes on.

Tell us about the hanger Queens that intrigue you especially if you know the story behind them.
I don’t suppose there’s any reason that hanger queen can’t be in your own hanger.
So to give someone a fighting chance of resurrecting this hanger queen tell us what it is ,where it is ,maybe an idea of how long it’s been there and idea of what it’s gonna take to get it out of there .

I’m really hoping to hear some of the stories behind some of the planes I seen sitting around the country!

dwalker

HBA Supporter
There is a 172 that actually looks like a nice plane under the dirt and weather grime behind the maintenance hanger at my local field. Pretty sure it has sat a solid year. If I knew who owned it I would make them an offer on it and try and save it.
Here hangar space, and now tiedown space, is becoming so tight the airport management is auditing hangars to make sure there is a plane or planes in them and not just being used as storage. No plane is pretty much immediate eviction. I think there is some allowances for people actively building or repairing a plane. Also they are auditing planes to see if they are in annual or not. There is a grace period, but if you are parking a derelict on the field you will be given notice to get it in annual, move it, or lose your space I support this because I need a hangar and on a probably 2-year or longer waiting list. A fellow at a nearby airport has been on the waiting list there for seven years.

pwood66889

"Perhaps with each others help we might be able to rescue a few of these."
Heard about "rescues" through my wife. They were operations run to provide various critters (ferrets, dogs of various breeds, etc.) with good homes to tide them over periods of inadaquate ownership. I "rescued" my first Ercoupe in the last part of the previous millennium, and have done several since.
First one was for "the Widow" of a guy that was trying to restore. Currently have my eye on one that is hung up in probate. There is a different story for each o ne.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Many AC sitting in these small town airports up in north Dakota. Winter there is to much snow for most to take off. Summer time you very seldom see a hanger door open and usually its because they are mowing to keep doors operating. Drove buy Larimore N.D. and two hangers where open each with a AG plane but tucked in back I spotted a few other planes and gosh knows what other goodies. Made me just want to pull in and be a rubber necker and chatter box. :D

challenger_II

You have far more self restraint than I... :)

Many AC sitting in these small town airports up in north Dakota. Winter there is to much snow for most to take off. Summer time you very seldom see a hanger door open and usually its because they are mowing to keep doors operating. Drove buy Larimore N.D. and two hangers where open each with a AG plane but tucked in back I spotted a few other planes and gosh knows what other goodies. Made me just want to pull in and be a rubber necker and chatter box. :D

BJC

HBA Supporter
In Tennessee, back in the last century, a lady bought a RF-4 for her husband. Story was that he flew it once, several years before I first saw it. It was suspended from the roof trusses in the big county hangar. The last that I knew, it had been hanging there for over ten years.

Beautiful airplane.

Knew of a Piper Archer, full IFR, air conditioned, leather seats, etc. It was purchased new by a man who wanted to learn to fly, but didn’t want to get in the FBO’s tired C172 or C152. Last that I heard from his instructor was that he had about 20 hours of dual, had never soloed, and the airplane had not ben flown for over a year. Tied down outside.

There are several homebuilt classics that should be on display in the EAA Museum, but instead are languishing in dusty storage to make room for warbirds. Among them is the iconic, original, Smith Miniplane.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Back circa 1960, there were three Whizzer motorbikes, still in factory shipping crates, available in the going-out-of-business sale of a local hardware store, owned by a close friend of my father. I probably could have had them just for asking, but at that age, I wasn’t interested.

BJC

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Weather permitting tomorrow the wife and I are taking the vw trike out so if those hangers are open or any other on the route I will pull in and scrounge around some. Easy to strike up a conversation riding in on this and Looking for extra VW engines is a good ice breaker. trike 1.jpg

Tiger Tim

I know of two beyond-perfect Fairchild 24s in a hangar being restored. The guy doing the work is a perfectionist. The second-last time I visited one of them was done in Navy colours and looked ready to fly and to win everything it entered. The very last time I saw them it was disassembled with the covering cut off and stuffed in a nearby garbage can because “I can do better.” That was easily twenty years ago now and the one Fairchild 24 flying in the area today isn’t either of those two so I’m thinking they’ve been finished and refinished five times over since then.

This hangar also had a Stampe in pieces up in the rafters that had arrived airworthy.

Derswede

I can't pass an airport. Got to go and look. One near me has a Chipmunk, two Bonanzas, a 152, had a Baby Ace and a Chief sitting. None in annual, several had not been flown in decades. I tried to buy the Baby Ace, the airport owner finally seized it for non-payment of hanger rent, it got sold to a guy who scrapped the airframe, he bought it for the 85 Continental. Almost same story on the Chief, but I do know the guy, have spoken to him multiple times, he says his airline pilot son will rebuild and fly it. About as soon as the disassembled 140 in his back yarn gets back into the air. Sad.

My father, when I was a kid, used to find old birds rotting in hangers, old barns, etc. Spent my summers restoring some of them. Now, I find out that the Mystery S racer we had been building just before his death is in similar limbo. Hanging from rafters in some barn, the owner died and the family does not want to sell it. I'd love to see it fly some day. At least the Monocoupes and the Waco are still in good shape...tho several in museums now.

Derswede

Derswede

Not Silver Creek, tho my brother did say that there was a Fairchild 24R there. Warf Field (Reidsville, NC) is another strip with several birds sitting. A nice T-craft that I have never seen fly, a Bonanza silently corroding away. Pity, such nice airplanes going to waste. I'm hunting that Chief, after that I may give away my favorite fishing spots.

My real heart's desire is a Mooney Mite. There is one near me...been sitting in the hanger for years. Complex bird, retractable gear. Always liked that airplane. Owner flys the plane about 2 hrs after annual every year, then parks it again.

Derswede

Wolfen1176

When I was growing up there was a Musketeer you could see from the road parked in barn on the way to my aunts house. After about 10 years of seeing the dust and dirt get thicker and heavier on it I stopped and asked about it. I got the story that they were going to get it out and get it flying someday. 20 years later it's still sitting in exactly the same spot. The last time I saw it you could see from the road the wing skins delaminating.

Then there was the bonanza sitting on the ramp at the airport. Had been sitting so long the tires were flat and it was sunk up to the axles into the pavement.

It really is sad to see. And people wonder why the cost of airplanes keeps going up.

Pilot-34

Folks if you really want to save these planes you’re gonna have to tell us where they’re at.!

by the same token if any of you have rescued one or no the fate of one I’d like to hear the stories

There was one listed on craigslist somehow I think it was near Birmingham Alabama. It was listed on craigslist and we brought it up here I think it had been a PA 14 with a Ford V6 conversion
I called the lady I think her husband passed on and left two or three planes in the barn and after a while she had just decided to sell them

I don’t know why I didn’t buy it I wondered what happened since.

It’s those planes ,they’re sitting in the barn nobody but family in a few hunters know about That we need to get the stories out there

Pilot-34

I know of two beyond-perfect Fairchild 24s in a hangar being restored. The guy doing the work is a perfectionist. The second-last time I visited one of them was done in Navy colours and looked ready to fly and to win everything it entered. The very last time I saw them it was disassembled with the covering cut off and stuffed in a nearby garbage can because “I can do better.” That was easily twenty years ago now and the one Fairchild 24 flying in the area today isn’t either of those two so I’m thinking they’ve been finished and refinished five times over since then.

This hangar also had a Stampe in pieces up in the rafters that had arrived airworthy.
Is this guy up in Michigan? There was a guy up there with a awesomely wonderful F 24 but when I called him up he managed to convince me that I really didn’t want it!

Angusnofangus

Harvey Airfield in Snohomish,WA seemed to be the official home for unwanted airplanes. This was quite a few years back. Hopefully things have changed. The one that I remember was an Ercoupe that hadn't moved in years. Tires flat and the thing covered in dust. I lusted for that airplane, but had no way to do anything with it even if I could have acquired it. It seems that a lot of boats suffer the same fate. The marinas near me are full of boats that never move, the bottoms covered with growth. Yet people continue to pay moorage for them, and around here that ain't cheap.

Wolfen1176

The other problem seems to be if you can talk them into selling the airplane they want a fortune for it because of what airworthy planes are going for.

There is a 175 sitting on the ramp here that hasn't flown in at least 5 years and needs a top end overhaul. He said " I will sell it for $45,000 because that's what they are worth."

dwalker

HBA Supporter
Folks if you really want to save these planes you’re gonna have to tell us where they’re at.!

by the same token if any of you have rescued one or no the fate of one I’d like to hear the stories

There was one listed on craigslist somehow I think it was near Birmingham Alabama. It was listed on craigslist and we brought it up here I think it had been a PA 14 with a Ford V6 conversion
I called the lady I think her husband passed on and left two or three planes in the barn and after a while she had just decided to sell them

I don’t know why I didn’t buy it I wondered what happened since.

It’s those planes ,they’re sitting in the barn nobody but family in a few hunters know about That we need to get the stories out there

From a warped point of view-
I am semi-actively looking for a time-builder- Cessna 150/152/172/ Piper Tomahawk/Beech Skipper/whatever to build time after getting my PPL, or, if I bought one tomorrow, to finish my PPL. Looking at trade-a-plane etc. can be frustrating when you see that most of the planes are on the overpriced side, because a broker assumes it will be financed or whatever.
It seems like it is just about like pulling teeth to get any sort of information about someone that might be (or should be) selling thier never used aircraft, and even when you do find one "for sale" the mere fact you express interest shoots the price up exponentially, even after you remind them that SOMEONE is going to have to pay for an annual, some maintenance, and maybe a lot of maintenance before the plane hits the skies again, let alone the cost of a paintjob or ridding the interior of the ghosts of rodents and rainstorms past. I would literally hand over reasonable sized stacks of folding money for a decent airplane, but i have no interest in buying a $30K project which needs another$45K into it just to perform as the same model plane I can buy for $45K today. I mean I get that people have emotional attachments, or they know they cannot go buy another one, but realistic value expectations go a long way.

I see the same thing in cars. You see a car for years and years parked in the same spot, going to pot, and the owner just wont let it go. And that is totally cool if that is what they want to do, I just hate to see good go to waste.

Wolfen1176

From a warped point of view-
I am semi-actively looking for a time-builder- Cessna 150/152/172/ Piper Tomahawk/Beech Skipper/whatever to build time after getting my PPL, or, if I bought one tomorrow, to finish my PPL. Looking at trade-a-plane etc. can be frustrating when you see that most of the planes are on the overpriced side, because a broker assumes it will be financed or whatever.
It seems like it is just about like pulling teeth to get any sort of information about someone that might be (or should be) selling thier never used aircraft, and even when you do find one "for sale" the mere fact you express interest shoots the price up exponentially, even after you remind them that SOMEONE is going to have to pay for an annual, some maintenance, and maybe a lot of maintenance before the plane hits the skies again, let alone the cost of a paintjob or ridding the interior of the ghosts of rodents and rainstorms past. I would literally hand over reasonable sized stacks of folding money for a decent airplane, but i have no interest in buying a $30K project which needs another$45K into it just to perform as the same model plane I can buy for $45K today. I mean I get that people have emotional attachments, or they know they cannot go buy another one, but realistic value expectations go a long way.

I see the same thing in cars. You see a car for years and years parked in the same spot, going to pot, and the owner just wont let it go. And that is totally cool if that is what they want to do, I just hate to see good go to waste.
I am in exactly the same position.

Pilot-34

I am and have been in similar situations many times in my life.
there is almost always a key and most the time it seems like I don’t find out what the key is until way too late.
There was a 1965 427 convertible galaxy parked under the trees next-door house that I drove by a lot.
so finally I stopped and talk to the lady about it she didn’t want to sell it it had been bought for a daughter to useto go to nursing school it was the only automatic transmission car dealer head that day.
The daughter died before she finished nursing school
Believe me she didn’t wanna sell it but I stopped and visited her every once in a while and finally I thought I discovered the key
One day she told me that she couldn’t let it go but she would put me in the will to receive it
I thought that was the key ownership till she died
I honestly didn’t expect be in the will for that car until her lawyer contacted me looking for some information.
now at that point if I had the sense that God gave a goose I would’ve gone and talk to her and offered to put it in the garage or build a garage over it
But I didn’t and a couple years later I came by the trees were gone and the car was gone the house was cleaned out
From the neighbors I found out that the son who I didn’t even know existed from Chicago came in one day and had everything hauled off to the junk in semi truck size garbage dumpsters.
Now this includes the contents of the garage and house which looks like a time capsule museum from 1970
Nearly the only thing in the house that was newer than 1970 was an easy chair that she sat in a lot most of the things were antiques well over 100 years old.
All gone to the dump.
so I went to see the lawyer about why I didn’t get my car when she passed on he was somewhat amazed to hear that she had passed song since he had just talked with her a week or so before!
it turns out she had not passed on her son just decided it was time to clean house and happen to get there during a period of less than a month when she was in the nursing home after surgery
This is her son That she had not talk to him in over 50 years!
Anyhow during our conversations after the car was gone it came out that she would’ve been overjoyed for me to have taken the car home put it in well protected storage and even to have restored it and driven it.
as long as it stayed in her ownership until she passed.
there was some part of her heart that felt in someway her daughter was still alive as long as she still on the car.

The point of this long rambling story is that often the price of something isn’t money it’s something going on deep inside the owners heart and you really have to try hard to find out what those things are