GM LH7 1.6 diesel engine weight thread.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

KeithO

How do you think the HP pump works ? Best case scenario it is a vane type but a lot are piston type pumps so have erratic loads on the drive system regardless....

dog

I did not and have no plans of it at this point. I believe a mechanical plunger type pump would be the death of this chain drive setup with it's erratic resistance on the drive side.
the cam will be a(erratic) variable load,larger than an injection pump,and the oil pump will also have a cyclic load,and the whole drive will acelerate and decelerate with each piston firing event
,even a common rail pump will see pressure changes with each solinoid firing,
is there a good way to incorporate a ve pump ?and or,is there an ECU for the common rail that will never go into limp mode?
for dealership moniti$ation reasons

Chris Matheny

Supporting Member
If anyone is interested, I'll probably sell this engine as it's doesn't fit in my plans. 33,000miles I'll just want back my investment and can deliver for a small mileage fee. PM me if interested.

Jazz30-06

Motec, Bosch motorsports and Baldurs DID1 will all run a common rail system and are stand alone so no limp mode will activate unless you program it to.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch another Bosch unit with a 100ft pole. The variables make no sense because they are all German-based, there is no such thing as a real manual, and there is only one person in the states that sells/supports them... and he's a pretty busy guy.

thompsonbb

I'd be very curious how much a 3.0L Duramax LM2 engine would weigh, stripped of all the emissions controls and unnecessary bits. Specs show ~475lbs dry.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
For what it's worth, I wouldn't touch another Bosch unit with a 100ft pole. The variables make no sense because they are all German-based, there is no such thing as a real manual, and there is only one person in the states that sells/supports them... and he's a pretty busy guy.

Yeah, the metric system is indeed a PITA... luckily the English have (re)seen the light and are now obliged by Law to use their Imperial, ex-Britannia Rules the Waves, measurements. Stones, pints, imperial gallons... Just as you think the rock in the North Sea couldn't drift further from Ostend, they do it.

Ignoring Bosch sounds about as easy as ignoring China: with the latter your clothes will probably fall off, with the first useless to run nude to your car as it will likely be as dead as a dodo.

Chris Matheny

Supporting Member
I'd be very curious how much a 3.0L Duramax LM2 engine would weigh, stripped of all the emissions controls and unnecessary bits. Specs show ~475lbs dry.
I'd like to know also but I'm not willing to pull the engine out of my new truck to find out. On our recent trip to Florida and back to Ohio we averaged 29.3mpg down and 30.9mpg back. Truly amazing in a half ton pickup.