• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

GM LFX V6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfarber

At this point in my build I'm looking at a motor. My E-AB can take up to an IO-540 so structurally by weight budget is 438lbs (O-540 dry weight).

The LFX is 300hp, and GM lists the 'engine plant as shipped weight' of 345lbs. My guess this is with accessories like alternator/AC/emissions that could be removed.

Since almost all the engine stuff I can find online seems to be for older motors or V8s I wanted to start a conversation about the possibility and pitfalls of using a new, all aluminum, V6 high performance motor.

Heres some dyno info: https://gmpowertrain.com/2014_images/charts_lg/lfx_chart_equinox.jpg

Two things come to mind. Fist, a standalone ECU/ECM. I have read that there are standalone ECUs that WOULD support VVT.

Since this is a dual cam VVT motor would that be a reliability issue? My thoughts: NO. At a reasonable TBO you can rebuild before and long term issues crop up.

Stand alone ECU: Lock out VVT? Keep it? I would assume that VVT plays a big part in the performance of the motor. Would/does locking out VVT make a 300hp motor an 150hp one? Or would you have to dyno it as see??

Please keep posts on topic (yeah.. good luck with that lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back