• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

GM LE2 engine conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Matheny

Supporting Member
This will be the thread where I will share progress of converting a GM 1.4L Cruze LE2 engine. So far I have disassembled a spare engine to look over everything and decide if I like it. I weighed everything individually and have decided to use it. The entire engine with turbo, ecm alternator and starter weighed in at 210 lbs. I ditched the factory alternator and saved 6 lbs there. Ditched the factory ecm and turbo. The engine without wiring, ecm starter and alternator weighed 185lbs. I have a radiator 4.5lbs and intercooler 4lbs and new 50amp alternator 6lbs but have a few other areas to shave weight also. I am locking out the variable camshaft phasers for reliably and simplicity. I have machined the hole for the direct injectors for secondary spark plugs and am using gm LS coils on them. Also starting fabrication on a carbon valve cover to get rid of all the steel baffles in the heavy 10.5lbs factory valve cover and should cut 2" off the top engine profile doing this. These engines use a nice forged crank and rods and Mahle pistons. I have machined a PSRU for it and don't plan to turn the engine over 4000rpm and 140-150hp max. This will be aimed more at higher altitude 10,000+ cross country cruising as it will make 100+ hp to 18,000ft. I plan to have this running on a test rig in the spring. I am using fully redundant ecm, spark plugs, crank and cam sensors, O2 sensors, and twin fuel rails and injectors. Any input along the way is welcome. Shooting hard for a 250 lbs or under fwf installed weight.
xhgE2eoKysdsctr97

Back