GM LE2 engine conversion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Got the mold gel coated for making the carbon fiber valve cover. I will now sand and buff this and take a plug from it to then lay up the carbon valve cover on. I shaved 2" of height at the highest point and 1.5" off what will be the front of the engine. These dimensions along with my gearbox will keep the propeller centerline the same as a Lycoming 235-320 and also the height of the engine. I haven't progressed as much as I wanted lately but I had a cervical fusion in my neck yesterday so when I start feeling better progress should pick back up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Chris,
Thanks for the update. I'm surprised GM left the valve covers so much higher than absolutely required, getting the hoodline as low as possible is an important consideration in some installations. Putiing prop at the same height as an O-320 will be a real plus.
Take care of that neck. We only get one chance to do that post-op care right. It's >possible< the medical community will be a bit busy for awhile, so try to stay out of their clutches.
Best wishes.
Mark

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Mark, they used that space for baffling for the PCV system. It was very well baffled since these engines are direct injected from the factory and have to keep oil off the intake valves. I'll be using port injectors and a different PCV system.

Group Builder