Global engine model?

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by 12notes, Jan 29, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 29, 2019 #1

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am registering my plane build, and the affidavit of ownership asks for the engine manufacturer, model, and serial number.

It is a Global 35hp engine, it's currently at my friend's hangar who will get the serial number for me tomorrow, but what's the model? I don't remember seeing a data plate on it. The pictures I have of it I can see "Global" cast into the case, but I can't see any model number on it. Perhaps there is one, but I don't know where it would be.

If it's not on there, should I use "1/2 VW" or "35 hp" as a model?

2. Jan 29, 2019 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think I would put 1/2 VW just for the fact of swapping other engines on that fit the description down the road. If the DAR wants more you could amend it easily then when he comes to look. I think some of this is to get you to admit to some type of value of the parts as Much as data about the plane. Data is about information collection. I like vage.

blane.c likes this.
  3. Jan 30, 2019 #3

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well, my friend checked it out, and in addition to not finding a model number, there isn't a serial number either.

Do I write "no serial number" on the affidavit of ownership form, just put "1/2 VW" on the form and ignore the model and serial number, or stamp one onto the engine and put it on the form?

I'd like to just put "1/2 VW" and leave out the model and serial number, but I don't know if that is allowed or will hold up the registration.

4. Jan 30, 2019 #4

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You should ask for help at EAA, they have the correct answers to the forms. But just for grins my opinion is you put in "your" serial number.

5. Jan 30, 2019 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think "no serial number " or N/A is ok. Certified have SN for tracing problems. Non certified is not under the same requirements. Just like a homebuilt plane, the builder can pick his own number and a lot of homebuilts are SN 1. With forms, fill in the blanks with something. They will register your plane and send back paper for correction if it is not to their liking. The FAA sent my registration form
    Back with this nice letter saying I needed a period or comma somewhere. They can't fix even the simplest mistakes in case you really meant it. The plane was registered to me at that point; about chain of ownership, but I still had to fix the paperwork.

6. Jan 30, 2019 #6

12notes

12notes

12notes

Ok, so the make is going to be "Half", the model "VW" and the serial number "N365", which happens to be the registration number of the plane.

Thanks!

7. Jan 30, 2019 #7

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I would put Global for the make, Half VW for the model, none for the serial. They may not use it anyway if it's not a certificated engine... I just looked up my old Fisher which had a Mosler half VW; the FAA record lists "AMA/EXP" for the engine make and 99999 for the model, the serial doesn't show in the record.