Glad to have found you guys!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Flivverflyer

My name is Don, and I'm a new owner of a nicely built low-time Sky Raider (Rotax 503 DCDI). I have been a Private Pilot for many years, with a glider rating, but I have been inactive for the last twenty years or so. I retired from Boeing last June as a structural design engineer (777, 787, 737NG, 777-9), and I moved to Caldwell ID in October. Buying the Sky Raider was one of the first things on my retirement list! My Sky Raider is hangared at Nampa airport (KMAN), and I'm liking the sport airplane culture there very much. Anxious to ask you all a ton of questions on Rotaxes and homebuilts in general.

IMG_4398.jpeg

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hello: My name is Don, and I'm a builder of a Taylor -monoplane and Been flying since I was $hitten yellow on my dads knee. Welcome to HBA.

Daleandee

Hello Don,

The wife and I may be out your way in June as we go to see family in Nampa every couple of years and are planning a trip this year.

I'm on the east coast so I won't be taking my plane to get there.

BTW ... great smiles on you and your friend!

Doran Jaffas

HBA Supporter
My name is Don, and I'm a new owner of a nicely built low-time Sky Raider (Rotax 503 DCDI). I have been a Private Pilot for many years, with a glider rating, but I have been inactive for the last twenty years or so. I retired from Boeing last June as a structural design engineer (777, 787, 737NG, 777-9), and I moved to Caldwell ID in October. Buying the Sky Raider was one of the first things on my retirement list! My Sky Raider is hangared at Nampa airport (KMAN), and I'm liking the sport airplane culture there very much. Anxious to ask you all a ton of questions on Rotaxes and homebuilts in general.

View attachment 108493
q

Great to have you aboard. Congratulations on your retirement ! There are a whole bunch of great folks on this forum with a whole bunch of knowledge. Please fill us in on your experience with your Sky Raider and feel free to post pictures.

I own and fly a Wittman Tailwind W8 with a Continental 0-200 for pilot cooling. I'm in central lower Michigan at KY70.

Attachments

Flivverflyer

So, I noticed that my CHT never gets up to the 350deg minimum placarded temp. I ran it in mid-50 degree air today and the head temps were around 280-290 or so, with a difference between cylinders of no more than 8 degrees. The EGT was a solid 1060F, for both cylinders, at a constant power setting of 5500RPM. I would expect the CHT to find its way up to the placarded range of 350-430F, but it never did, even in a climb at full power. Cause for concern?

Daleandee

So, I noticed that my CHT never gets up to the 350deg minimum placarded temp. I ran it in mid-50 degree air today and the head temps were around 280-290 or so, with a difference between cylinders of no more than 8 degrees. The EGT was a solid 1060F, for both cylinders, at a constant power setting of 5500RPM. I would expect the CHT to find its way up to the placarded range of 350-430F, but it never did, even in a climb at full power. Cause for concern?
Those temps on a Rotax 503 with that OATs look perfect to me ... but what do I know? LOL! FWIW when I flew a Challenger with a 503 I liked seeing 300ºF for the CHT. I also used 1100-1150ºF as the range for my EGTs. But with a two stroke a bit cool is much better than too hot.

My Corvair conversion was tough to get over 225ºF in the 50ºf temps the other day.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Hi Don & co-pilot,

The Quiet Flyer hat in your photo gives you away as a model airplane guy too, so we're double glad to have you here !

Sincerely, Balsa Dust Bill
(a guy who still has a dried up tube of Ambroid somewhere)

Flivverflyer

Yup, avid model airplane guy here! I used to write for Quiet Flyer magazine, had the technical basics column ("Simply Soaring"), and I still have the hat to prove it! Flying never gets dull or routine for me, no matter what the scale ratio of the model I'm flying. (One-to-one ratio has all my attention now...!). IMG_4502.jpeg

Mac Hodges

Your temps are perfect, don't change a thing. If your were too rich you would get some "bumping" in cruise but if you are not getting that you are fine. You could also look at your plugs and I think you will find them a nice tan color. 400 should be max with 350 a little too lean for my liking. A lot of time full throttle in climb will cool the engine down a little as it is usually giving it a little richer fuel mixture.
I've got a Skyraider with a 503 and love the airplane. Also used to fly RC and did a lot of demos with a 20' B-29 that dropped a rocket powered X-1.

Flivverflyer

Your temps are perfect, don't change a thing. If your were too rich you would get some "bumping" in cruise but if you are not getting that you are fine. You could also look at your plugs and I think you will find them a nice tan color. 400 should be max with 350 a little too lean for my liking. A lot of time full throttle in climb will cool the engine down a little as it is usually giving it a little richer fuel mixture.
I've got a Skyraider with a 503 and love the airplane. Also used to fly RC and did a lot of demos with a 20' B-29 that dropped a rocket powered X-1.
Mac,

All of us model airplane junkies are well familiar with your famous Bell X1 drop from the big B29 routine at SEFF and the Nall and other venues. I wish I had had a chance to see this demo in person! Cool that you have a Sky Raider! I like your long gear legs and big tires... mine has this, too.