GHS Aviation Rans S-21

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Mark Z

I’ve worked as a mentor for the past 5 years building RV-12s (one ULS and 2 is versions) next year we’ll start building Randy’s new Outbound design. I think this airplane has some real potential in the homebuilt world today. We are certainly going to find out. This morning I plan to go fly one to see how it behaves.9EC4F7A0-C061-481E-916A-5A4FF5BD793D.jpeg4B73CBA6-A549-45F5-86EF-3B0D829351A3.jpeg

Riggerrob

S-21's sheet metal construction with pre-punched holes should make it as popular as similar kits from Vand's and Zenith.

galapoola

The S-21 Outbound checks many boxes. One that stands out is the max weight. In their brochure I noticed you can build the same exact aircraft and if it is flown LSA then 1320 lbs. If you fly it as Experimental/Amateur-Built the max weight is 1800 lbs dependent on engine. I asked and the design is built for the 1800 lbs no matter how you register it with FAA or else where. So it is future proofed for any changes in LSA including VNE being over 200mph

Mark Z

All boxes have been checked and we’ve got a tundra trike version with the Titan engine coming for this next school year. A VFR panel will be built by Steinair with IFR upgradeability (the wiring is there) to house a Garmin 175 navigator and optional second Dynon HDX screen.

pfarber

Taildragger will instantly turn off 80% of the market.

I've learned that most budget EFIS are hot garbage. The displays on that panel are information vomit.

VenturePilot

Love the S-21. Too rich for my budget but that seems to be the direction of most new kits. More prefab work and more cost. Would love one with a 915 or one of the new UL Turbo's.

TarDevil

I give the S-20 an edge in appearance, especially with the classic vertical stab/rudder. The S-21 is far more useful, though.

My grandkids flew a S20/Young Eagles flight last week... in a Viking powered version. They're safe! :)

Mark Z

I stocked the 3 tires this morning. The front is ribbed and the mains are smooth as a baby’s behind. It has the looks of much testosterone but I wouldn’t want to spend much time on the pavement. I placed the tail spar package against our shop door and determined that we may have less than a foot on either side to get it out.

Attachments