Getting Out From Under the Wing?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
You could build a Lockeed Vega
Neat plane but why ?
From wiki
“The Vega could be difficult to land. In her memoir, Elinor Smith wrote that it had "all the glide potential of a boulder falling off a mountain."[2] In addition, forward and side visibility from the cockpit was extremely limited; Lane Wallace, a columnist for Flying magazine, wrote that "Even [in level flight], the windscreen would offer a better view of the sky than anything else, which would make it more of a challenge to detect changes in attitude or bank angle. On takeoff or landing, there'd be almost no forward visibility whatsoever."”

kinda going the wrong direction…..

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter

Turd Ferguson

There is so much about those airplanes that I like especially the 337 on floats……
How could we "pimp" that ride? There is a pressurized version of the C-337. Hang a diesel powerplant on each end. I think the P337 holds 6 people (at least 5 for sure). It has retractable gear. It can make it to the flight levels. Fill the booms with fuel in addition to the fuel tanks in the wings for 4000 mile range. Maybe Raptor should have copied the P337????

TFF

P-34 you are too literal. You asked for a high wing plane with the pilot ahead of the wing and it was delivered. You could never afford one anyway. There would be floods of answers if it was common or useful. It’s a very wasteful configuration when it comes to space and weight.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
How could we "pimp" that ride? There is a pressurized version of the C-337. Hang a diesel powerplant on each end. I think the P337 holds 6 people (at least 5 for sure). It has retractable gear. It can make it to the flight levels. Fill the booms with fuel in addition to the fuel tanks in the wings for 4000 mile range. Maybe Raptor should have copied the P337????
Or, since Raptor NG wants the marketing cachet of green/hybrid yada yada, they could follow in the steps of these guys and put a diesel in one end an an electric in other end.
I'd rather put a GM V-8 in both slots, but that wouldn't suit the Raptor image.

Pilot-34

P-34 you are too literal. You asked for a high wing plane with the pilot ahead of the wing and it was delivered. You could never afford one anyway. There would be floods of answers if it was common or useful. It’s a very wasteful configuration when it comes to space and weight.
Yep I am pretty literal when I ask for a way to get the pilot out from under the wing an aircraft where he is buried deep under it just doesn’t trip my trigger.
nothing wrong with a Vega I went out of my way to see the place where Wiley Post crashed his but it doesn’t get you out from under the wing.
As far as it being a waste for configuration why do you say that? Wasteful as in relation to what?
honestly I’m kind of surprised somebody didn’t bring up the optica earlier it seems like it wonderful answer to the mission ,it’s just a little expensive and heavy and slow and I’m not sure whether to call a high wing or not. But still a great plane

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
... I’m kind of surprised somebody didn’t bring up the optica earlier it seems like it wonderful answer to the mission ,it’s just a little expensive and heavy and slow and I’m not sure whether to call a high wing or not. But still a great plane
Well, it has very poor performance for the installed power, reportedly flies like a pig, less than 2 dozen were made (many destroyed in an act of arson at the factory), it isn't available new anymore, and can't be built as a E-AB. Other than that, it would be a good candidate.
I don't think it is a great plane, but it is an interesting looking plane.

Pilot-34

Well even uncommon?
I’ve flown in a 1-2 arrangement but that 1-2-1 or 1-1-1-1 eludes me.
I’m not conceited enough to even begin to believe I’m the first one to have the idea so I suspect I’m simply not a good enough researcher to find it.

rv7charlie

I can't get you 1-1-1-1, but how about 1-1-1? Do I get extra credit for getting the pilot in front of the wing?

BTW, the obvious solution is a pusher configured engine(s). That moves the CG back far enough to let you move the pilot seat forward.