Getting Out From Under the Wing?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I don’t know why but I think I would like to fly a high wing plane. It’s practically a necessity in a flying boat and even on wheels I would prefer it.
but I don’t wanna sit under the wing where I can’t see stuff in a turn.
Would it be practical to simply stretch the cabin?
Sitting just a few inches farther forward would get me out from under that darn wing.
I suppose I could recover my center of gravity by either stretching the cabin backward possibly getting the backseat passengers out from under the wing also or as a last resort the dreaded ballast to restore the center of gravity?

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
This is where you build a model in Excel, put in the weight and position of all the stuff that goes in an airplane, and have it compute the weight and balance every time you move something. Then explore new configurations.

Most of us find that with the engine in front, you have to extend the tail an impossibly long ways aft while also extending the gear downward a long ways to allow full AOA landings. Stuff the engine aft, and now a shoulder wing works, but you get the drawbacks of pusher props or shaft drives Or both.

Which is why most of us favor efficient propulsion (tractor props) and then either choose to look down or see inside the turn.

Billski

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
This is where you build a model in Excel, put in the weight and position of all the stuff that goes in an airplane, and have it compute the weight and balance every time you move something. Then explore new configurations.

Most of us find that with the engine in front, you have to extend the tail an impossibly long ways aft while also extending the gear downward a long ways to allow full AOA landings. Stuff the engine aft, and now a shoulder wing works, but you get the drawbacks of pusher props or shaft drives Or both.

Which is why most of us favor efficient propulsion (tractor props) and then either choose to look down or see inside the turn.

Billski
It sounds like you may have explored this before?

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
It sounds like you may have explored this before?
A long time ago. At one time I even schemed out an aft engine tractor prop tandem seat with the passenger atop the CG and above the pilot some. All that was needed was to make the long shaft drive under the crew work plus all of the other airframe build stuff. It would have been pretty long and look kind of like a helo. When I began to appreciate all the issues we would have to check and test and resolve with gearboxes and shafts, I went back to more conventional approaches…

Billski

Bigshu

Why the ducted fan ?
Very safe configuration, by keeping the blades enclosed, and it solves the shaft drive problem for a pusher, without having the engine thrust line way up in the air like a lot of high wing pushers with boom mounted tails. So, good for a lot of different considerations in the design.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The problem with sitting in front of the wing is that CG becomes more variable with changing pilot weights.

Some high wings solve the upward visibility issue by placing a Lexan or Plexiglass panel across the center section, replacing the wing skin over the cockpit. Slower planes can get away with one big single panel, and the faster planes have two side by side panels (often oval shaped and bolted in like big inspection panels). Either way, you want to make sure it is securely mounted because loss of the topcenter skin can potentially reduce your lift significantly and may spill disturbed air across your rudder and fin.

Tiger Tim

-A mild forward sweep would get the wing root behind the pilot, like on a Cygnet.

-A bigger airplane makes the pilot a smaller proportion of the overall weight and coupled with a (relatively) light engine you can put the pilot easily ahead of the wing. Take a look at a Beaver versus a Turbo Beaver for cockpit placement.

-Go in a whole new direction and move the wing out of your way:
1628740724361.jpeg

PMD

Thurston Teal, Lake, RC3 Seabee, Aero Commander, Aerostar - LOTS of airplanes have you sitting in front of the wing. BUT, as others have mentioned, hard to get the thrust line where you want it but not impossible to live with the compromises. Not likely you will be able to do so by re-arranging a front engined tractor prop - unless of course you want to the the DHC-2 thing and stretch the cabin forward and hanging a very light turbine on the snout. Don't even think of ballast - these are airplanes, not cargo barges.

TFF

Kevin Kimball can sell you the skins for the Vega. He has two sets of spares right now.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
A conventional high-wing design with transparent panels in the roof is the easiest solution to your visibility concern. The Skyranger Nynja microlight below is a great example but most high-wing designs with aluminum or steel tube fuselages can sort out clear panels forward and aft of the main spar carry-through unless the fuel tank is there.

nynja dan johnson.jpg Screenshot 2021-08-13 10.01.03 AM.png

PMD

I seem to remember flying a Pa18 with a particularly good skylight. Most memorable as we were circling to inspect a camp and a bald eagle formed up just above us, probably wondering how stupid that big, noisy bird was since the thermal just wasn't there.