Getting old and depressed...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chopndrag

I'm about the same age. Though my dream was to design and build my own. I somewhat did that, but have other asperations that are on the back burner. In the meantime I have a Piper Cherokee 140.

As was stated in earlier posts, getting a C172 or Cherokee 140 is generally way cheaper than a lot of kit (finished) and you can fly now. I also want to build, but for now I fly. Maybe I'll get a Onex or work on a motorglider design.

btw, I'm luke warm on the C152. I found them kind of fun to fly and cheaper, but the useful load is not particularly useful, like the Sonex, IMHO. A C172 or PS28-140, you can have two adults, 4 hours of fuel and baggage. They might be a big sluggish, but I can still get you sick if you want. Yes, I find the T18 and GP4 sexy, but I'd consider an RV (I'm partial to the 7, 9, and 14).
I might know of a xenos for sale. Happens to be the prototype for sonex . My buddy bought it from them and might sell.

PiperCruisin

Supporting Member
I might know of a xenos for sale. Happens to be the prototype for sonex . My buddy bought it from them and might sell.
I don't know if you are talking about Pete Buck's Xenos. Met him a few times at the ESA meeting in Tehachapi and sat in his Xenos. It is quite nice. Not sure where I would store it. It is the only complaint I have about it is that you need a big hanger. He had/has a big hanger but has to wiggle it out. Would be pretty much ideal if the outer wing section folded.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Learning to fly and acquiring an airplane are big hurdles. There are people who would welcome a friend to fly with who would share expenses with them. Put up a note at nearby airports, ask around at the EAA chapters. That seems a better option for you.
"According to the FAA, §61.113(c) permits pilots to share operating expenses of a flight with passengers provided the pilot pays at least his or her pro rata share of the operating expenses of the flight. Operating expenses are limited to fuel, oil, airport expenditures and rental fees."

Radical opposed to the above: the moment you -as a pilot- take money, expenses etc , I feel you need a CPL.

Taking or asking money for "a service" opens a can of worms I will do gladly without. The only thing I might request when somebody asks a ride, is to sign a waiver that in case we die, have a accident , by my fault or no-one's fault, that nor they nor their successors will sue me. Retained that from my racing days / trackdays: it makes people think. Some back out.

Of course the little bugger, 13-14 years of age, he will sign anything with any name and surely try to bribe you with 10 Eur in order you not to ask his dad/mom. Been in both situations, got the ride and gave the ride.

BJC

Supporting Member
The only thing I might request when somebody asks a ride, is to sign a waiver that in case we die, have a accident , by my fault or no-one's fault, that nor they nor their successors will sue me. Retained that from my racing days / trackdays: it makes people think. Some back out.
That somebody can not sign away his successors’ legal rights to sue you or your estate.

BJC

Never been depressed, though, because I choose not to be.

Kind of depends on how you define depressed? I fit the DSM criteria for depression but I don't consider myself depressed. I'm just a grumpy cynic. ;)
👈
I feel sorry for those the have the attitude of 'Don't worry. Just be happy. Take time to smell the roses.'

Well, I don't like roses. To me wild roses are invasive weeds. I prefer Iris. So what does it take to smell the Irises?

A plot of land in the sun.
A shovel to break up that land for planting.
Some fertilizer if your land isn't fertile enough.
A water bucket to bring water to the Irises.
And finally some Iris rhizomes.
...........The above all cost money, or currency?
Then you have to put in some work, or hire it done, but you end up with what makes you stop and smell the Iris when you walk by.
+++++++++++++
Storm come along and washes out my Iris bed. I should have picked a better protected spot, but that is all I had.
I discover when I start planning to replant that someone stole my shovel. I should have secured it better.
I still have plenty of fertilizer.
I lent my water bucket to the neighbor to scoop the water out of his basement after the flood. I expect it to be returned?
There is now an Iris rhizome shortage because I'm not the only one that got flooded. Price has gone up.

I'm not happy about the situation (depressed?) but I did it once so I think I can do it again. I start working on my plan.

Half way through (my neighbor brought the bucket back and lent me his shovel) I get my property tax notice. Seems my property has doubled in value because I have/had a nice bed of Irises that my neighbor, with the well used Netflix account, would like to have but didn't have the money to hire a contractor to put in an Iris bed of their own.
I can no longer afford to buy the new Iris rhizomes this year so I'll just save up for next year. Hopefully the cost won't go up more than my savings over the winter. 🙏
I spend a whole summer walking past a bare plot of land remembering how nice it was last year.
++++++++++++
I'm not happy. The DSM-5 says I'm depressed. I could get some 'happy pills' for the equivalent of a chemical lobotomy, but I'll fight that with all I have.
Nothing scares me more than becoming satisfied and complacent.
I value my 'depression'. It means I still have some ambition left and at least a reasonable opportunity to turn that unfulfilled ambition into reality - whatever it may be.

At this point I stop to remember the scene from M*A*S*H where Houlihan reminds BJ, who is complaining about being in Korea, that he shouldn't be so unhappy
"Maybe you *do* have the most to lose but that's only because you *got* the most."

* Maybe considered too political?

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I don't have many tips to offer, but I do think folks who have had a really rough patch in their lives (truly hungry, etc), especially if it lasted a while, are often pretty happy later in life (if they make it). I'm guessing it gives them some useful perspective. ("Hey, I've seen bad. I survived it. This ain't bad. Not yet, anyway.")

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
That somebody can not sign away his successors’ legal rights to sue you or your estate.

BJC
Of course not you can’t sign away something that belongs to someone else but what you can sign away is your successors chances of winning.

I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV yet the law requires that I make hundreds of legal-based decisions how can that be right?

TFF

61.113 is there to make sure the pilot has a way to be legal if the plane is used for personal business. A company owner flying his own airplane to a meeting is personal business. So is him adding employees that he wants to take. It’s not an airline because, it’s all connected to the business needs, so it’s not Pt135/119. How it’s accounted is up to the business owner, but the employees are supposed to ante up their share. Money doesn’t usually change hands but here is the usual scenario. It can be an expensive problem. A friend had a TBM 700 that was used for company. It was too expensive tax wise to take the employees with him. Him 100% deduction. Add one person he can only claim 50%. Six seats filled, you get get the point. They accounted for it. He would send employees commercial as it was cheaper. With all of these if you can afford it, you claim your 1/6 and then the assumption is the other 5 payed their part. In the end he had to sell it. You might feel like a king when you arrive by yourself, but it’s eating you out of house and home. You have to be able to afford it.

Pops

Supporting Member
My wife's company airplanes were 100% business use. When we started the company and getting the aircraft modified and dealing with the FAA, they told us to be very careful in what is business and what is personal. Said if we get a compliant about it being Pt-135 we will have to investigate. Being 100% business saves a lot of headaches. And like you say, it can be hard at times to stay legal. We had it easier in the fact that flying in the Restricted Cat the only people allowed in the airplane is just what is required to do the job. The only time in Pt-91 was flying to and from jobs. Had two sets of paper work and Restricted signs so switching over was easy. Close up the camera ports, and remove the Restricted placard out of the window and were ready to go Pt-91.

Last edited:

Dothetime

I’m 71, been flying 31 years, have owned 5 airplanes.
There are people that love to build, and there are people who love to fly.
I would rather fly than build.
Get your license, see if you love it.
Buy something in flying condition that you can afford, to keep you flying and build what you love.
If you would rather build than fly concentrate on building your project.
Just my opinion.
Dave
N601XP

Daleandee

When someone asks, 'How ya doing'... I say, "I'm still kicking"....'... and a short pause.. "You know when ya stop kicking they try to out dirt and stuff on ya."

I've often been asked, "how are you doing?" to which I reply, "I have nothing to complain about." Most often the next reply from them is akin to, "It doesn't do any good to complain because no one ever listens." I then tell them the truth, "you didn't understand what I said, I truly do not have anything to complain about."

There's a world of people that are not as blessed as most of us. And while many may appear to have it all with wealth, fame, popularity, etc. yet they have no real peace in their lives or joy in their hearts. But I digress.

Let me just say that when I go I want to go in my sleep like my grandpa ... and not screaming like those that were in the car with him! 🤣