Getting old and depressed...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Sraight'nlevel

The Cessna 150/152 and the C-170/172 are better airplanes than most pilots are pilots. Yes, very few can fly one with precision.

How would you describe flying a Cessna 172 with a small ultralite high wing one ?

After talking to my wife yesterday and realistically, it would more than likely go as you've said. Lessons, license... and then, 152/172. Oh well, at least I'll be in the air!
I have built/rebuilt and flown a few airplanes(Zenith, RV7A, etc.), currently flying a Hatz Biplane. I am restoring a '64 172E because I wanted something to haul gear and my spouse to remote locations to camp.

I share a hangar with a friend that has a straight tail C150 that he loves because it sips fuel and gets him to fun fly-ins while enjoying the view along the way.

There isn't a single plane that will meet all your needs, but choose a plane that you wouldn't hesitate to pull out of the hangar and fly for any opportunity.

BTW - I am 60 and don't plan to stop building/flying until I can't climb into a plane anymore.

Last edited:

robertl

People Pooh-Pooh those common little Cessnas all the time but I find I’ve grown to recognize that as a sign of inexperience and… I don’t know… impatience, maybe? Don’t wait a decade or more to see for yourself that they’re lovely and immensely usable little airplanes, just ask yourself today how they can be that bad when so many have been sold.

I will be flying our 1966 Cessna f tomorrow out of Camden, S.C. KCDN. Not going anywhere in particular, just flying.
Bob

1Bad88

Supporting Member
What 4 if you don't mind me asking?

And 14th? There has to be a Breezy in there somewhere.

NW side in the Tomball area.

There was a link above that someone posted about how a T18 is for experienced Pilots... well, that link was to a page that I believe was written by a "Lee Walton". He owns a T18, and also created and maintains the T18.net forums, lives in the Houston area as well, and flies out of Hooks which is a couple of minutes from where I live. I've even seen his T18 fly over a couple of times... or at least I'd like to think it was his. :)
I drove through your area last week on my way to the Colwell clinic. Being by Hooks puts you close to a couple of airparks out in Brookshire. I'm further out west but my plane is in Mineola until I can get the updates finished.

1Bad88

Supporting Member
I have plans for the Mustang 2 which is very similar to the Thorp T18. If you wanted to meet up somewhere I could bring them so you could see what is involved in building that type of aircraft.

1Bad88

Supporting Member
I wanted to move to Seguin but for some reason I can't recall we couldn't make it work. I would rather be flying out of San Antonio instead of IAH sometimes.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
"Getting old and depressed..."

Is there anybody that isn't doing at least one of those all the time and the other at least part time.

Get over yer complaining and do something about it!

FYI - Flying WILL help! Building might help too.

Daleandee

Happiness is a choice. I'm happy to be alive .

I thank the Good Lord that I wake up happy everyday.

Years ago I learned that people can only make you angry or miserable if you allow them to do it. Self control as well as self confidence is very valuable as a human. I'm not perfect but I've learned that walking away sometimes is necessary and it works very well ... but there are times when you must stand your ground. The wisdom to understand the things you can and cannot change is extremely valuable and takes time to learn.

It's not my business what you think of me and for the most part I don't spend time losing sleep over it. I believe I should treat others with kindness, show as much charity (love) as I can, & that my word is my bond. I really try to avoid confrontational, arrogant, & self deluded people.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Yup, I’m aging every day, just like everyone else alive. Never been depressed, though, because I choose not to be.

BJC

Good for you!

Life does have its ups and downs.

Those downs are known as depressions.

You have mastered the art of avoidance by going around and powering out to the extent that it is a normal everyday operation.

I gather that the OP was working on that. We are here pulling with him and showing the way.

GeraldKrygsman

How would you describe flying a Cessna 172 with a small ultralite high wing one ?
I don't know about the ultralight but I had a 150 for 14 years an we were pretty tight. We had a lot of fun and scary times but always came back for more. 4 forced landings, 1 electrical fire, and thunderstorm and stuck above the clouds. Was very easy and comfortable to fly even for passengers

PiperCruisin

Supporting Member
The 2 that I'm really debating on are the Vision, and the Thorp T18. The Thorp... my god, I love the design. Just not sure if a new Pilot can handle it. The goal, is a cross country plane that wife and I could travel in.

If I could snap my fingers for the ultimate homebuilt... Osprey GP-4. The most beautiful plane ever built. Ever.

I'm about the same age. Though my dream was to design and build my own. I somewhat did that, but have other asperations that are on the back burner. In the meantime I have a Piper Cherokee 140.

As was stated in earlier posts, getting a C172 or Cherokee 140 is generally way cheaper than a lot of kit (finished) and you can fly now. I also want to build, but for now I fly. Maybe I'll get a Onex or work on a motorglider design.

btw, I'm luke warm on the C152. I found them kind of fun to fly and cheaper, but the useful load is not particularly useful, like the Sonex, IMHO. A C172 or PS28-140, you can have two adults, 4 hours of fuel and baggage. They might be a big sluggish, but I can still get you sick if you want. Yes, I find the T18 and GP4 sexy, but I'd consider an RV (I'm partial to the 7, 9, and 14).