Get yours now!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
The serious writers were probably kept in line by serious readers. Back when folks built the projects shown in the magazine the employees probably were kept humble and serious by the corrections they got in the mail.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
They only flew for 8,000 miles and were then retired ?
I think they need to find a new proof reader......

I wonder if those boys will take a check for the plane....???
Lol

Kevin

TFF

Yea being a patriot and all it’s great, but you can get a MIG 21 for $300-500K and use the rest of the $8M for fuel. Or spare airplanes. Ring Ring Autozone, do you have a flight management computer for a F-16; one of the older ones. I don’t think the local geeksquad can help with the computer. Makes owning a T-33 or F-86 look quite reasonable.

Tiger Tim

Can you imagine dropping 8.5 million then finding out on delivery it was de-milled the same way as the F-14s were? (that would be by complete shredding)

Aesquire

I've talked with a local Mig-21 pilot. He told me he's basically in a fuel emergency on take off. 45 minutes IFR reserve? Hardly. He arranges his spot in the landing que before turning onto the runway for takeoff. From Buffalo to Syracuse NY he told me it's almost safer to route over Lake Ontario through the military zone & crack Mach in International waters, but he finds the over water flight nervous making & boring at the same time.

The cockpit wouldn't look unfamiliar to a home builder. No frills, steam era round gagues, exposed rivets everywhere. Not a hard plane to fky, but marginally stable, hand flying at all times.

The real difference, besides the fuel bill, is you have to be ahead of the bird, mentally. In a WW1 fighter replica that's a mile and a minute, in a Cold War supersonic interceptor, that's a hundred miles and better be more than a minute..... Ooops! Missed my turn into the pattern by 3 counties!

BJC

HBA Supporter
.. The real difference, besides the fuel bill, is you have to be ahead of the bird, mentally. In a WW1 fighter replica that's a mile and a minute, in a Cold War supersonic interceptor, that's a hundred miles and better be more than a minute..... Ooops! Missed my turn into the pattern by 3 counties!
In a talk about flying the SR-72, the speaker said that the most stressful thing was worrying about accurate timing of his flight plan turns, because being off by just a few seconds could caused a miss of next target.

BJC

TFF

The problem about fast or supersonic flying is, you don’t build hours, you build minutes. 600 miles in an RV7 or MIG is completely different. Takeoff in a MIG might be out of gas but you are two states over. If you want to enjoy the flight and look out the window, very fast is not as good. As for not enough fuel, drop tanks. Nothing like throwing another 600 gallons under the wing to say gluttony is good.

Turd Ferguson

The real difference, besides the fuel bill, is you have to be ahead of the bird, mentally. In a WW1 fighter replica that's a mile and a minute, in a Cold War supersonic interceptor, that's a hundred miles and better be more than a minute..... Ooops! Missed my turn into the pattern by 3 counties!
Nah, he still has to fly 250 kts under 10,000 ft. That's only ~4 miles a minute.

TFF

Military jet is camouflage. They think you are just another government toy. Use all the military low level high speed airways. 450kt limit on the one north of here. If you can’t jump out of a MIG and exude charm and confidence and convince any plebeian FAA inspector that what you are doing is ok, you don’t deserve to fly a MIG.

Bill-Higdon

Military jet is camouflage. They think you are just another government toy. Use all the military low level high speed airways. 450kt limit on the one north of here. If you can’t jump out of a MIG and exude charm and confidence and convince any plebeian FAA inspector that what you are doing is ok, you don’t deserve to fly a MIG.
;):D