Get your plane secured! The Hurricane is here!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Heading in to work today, passed a small local airport that has more hanger queens than active planes, and noticed three that, tho under T-hangers, were not tied down. Mentioned it to the strip owner, he said the rent agreement was for space only and owners were responsible for tie down/securing the craft. His actual response was, "Come by next week and buy some airplane projects....some reassembly required."

Makes me appreciate the times when we had enclosed hangers for our birds. Please, make sure your planes are secured, check your tie downs and make sure that they will hold. This storm seems to be a monster, ya'll be safe and batten the hatches!

Derswede

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
This could also mean some good deals for homebuilders. It is how my brother got a 400hr O-320 for $1200 - including shipping!

Kind of a lousy way to get a deal............... :ermm:

FritzW

Log Member
...noticed three that, tho under T-hangers, were not tied down.
Sounds like they figure an insurance payoff is an easier way to get rid of a hangar queen than going through Barnstormers :gig:

One of the emergency ham radio networks I belong to (AmRRON) has activated some of it's resources for the hurricane. ...could be a doozy.

Hunker down! We're praying for you guys.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The thing that bothers me is folks who do not tie down their airplane are acting irresponsibly to their neighbors - The neighbor's airplane can be well secured and still get wrecked when an unsecured airplane does the tumbleweed thing...

pictsidhe

Would insurance pay out for loose planes? Seems like leaving your car in the wrong 'hood with the door open and the keys in the ignition.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The thing that bothers me is folks who do not tie down their airplane are acting irresponsibly to their neighbors - The neighbor's airplane can be well secured and still get wrecked when an unsecured airplane does the tumbleweed thing...
Had that exact thing happen at Skylark. One private owner's glider was crushed by another that broke free, flipped over, and fell on the first one. Both totaled. I imagine the explanation to the insurance company would've been interesting.