• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Geo Metro 3 Cyl - A Good Engine??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PagoBay

Hello HBA...

I am seriously considering my second venture into LSA E-AB ownership. First go round was, shall we say, "an education". I survived, literally, and sold the aircraft with an expensive but bearable cash loss. Trying to do better this time.

Yesterday, I got an email saying that I am first in line to buy a 85% complete E-AB LSA project. The powerplant has been mounted and tested long back. Due to serious health issues the owner is selling the project. The engine has been sitting for more than a year. Located in SW USA desert country and stored inside. But the sitting time is worrisome. Don't know yet what protection was given by the owner to preserve the engine during storage. Will certainly ask. He is on a two week holiday right now and is not easy to reach.

This thread seeks detailed feedback and words of caution and advice regarding inspection of and general reliability of the engine. Later I will bring in the air-frame in a separate thread, also for your thoughts and guidance.

I do plan on engaging a qualified person to do the initial pre-buy inspection. Right now I am in education mode. Leaving air-frame and gross weight considerations out of the picture here just to focus on the engine chosen by the original builder.

I am finding the stock engine is 55HP. Don't know what the turbo will provide.

Here, just below, are the engine details by the the seller.

PLEASE OFFER ANY AND ALL THOUGHTS / ADVICE / CAUTIONARY TALES
WHAT QUESTIONS ARE ESSENTIAL TO GET ANSWERED ABOUT THIS ENGINE?

=====
BUILDER'S NOTES:
This project was built by an experienced home builder and researcher with Masters in Structural Engineering, creator of three different aircraft projects. The quality of design and workmanship is superb and guaranteed.
ENGINE
Geo Metro 3 cylinder 1000cc fuel injected with Raven belt Redrive, turbocharged to 5 psi boost pressure
INSTRUMENTATION
Main custom aluminum panel with complete instrumentation: Tachometer, Turn&bank, Altimeter, Airspeed, VSI, AMP meter, Volt meter,
Secondary overhead pod panel with engine instruments: Oil pressure, Coolant temp, Turbo boost, Fuel pressure
FUEL TANK
Aluminum custom welded with electric fuel pump, 12 gal
COOLING
Water cooled by radiator with thermostat and temp sensor placed in front of engine
OTHER DETAILS
Engine mount custom built for Geo Metro auto conversion, original Rotax mount available
Engine auto conversion made strictly per Raven Redrive modification manual
The engine has been test run with the turbocharging and all instrumentation.
One new extra complete engine is available.

=====

Additional FYI here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Metro
Thanks.
RMM-Guam

Engine 16.JPG
Engine 15.JPG

Back