• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

General liquid cooled engine questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene

Supporting Member
I have Rotax 912 - 100 hp engine with water and oil thermostats installed. But I have some questions about all liquid cooled engines that we have today.

- If water temperature stays at 180°F during any flight conditions than my cooling air duct oversized?

- If water temperature occasionally go above 180°, how high can it go safely before I should start getting nervous and increase my ductwork size? What is normal operating temperature? What is absolute limit?

- Same questions for oil temperatures. I was told by Rotax guys that they prefer oil temperature to be a little higher than water. What is normal oil temperatures and absolute not to exceed?

- I learned this morning that GM engines timing chain very sensitive to oil change intervals. They recommend maximum 6000 miles on synthetic oil. But they tell me if you really care about your engine you should do every 4000 miles. How often would we change oil on automotive engine if we use it in the Aircraft? Rotax have recommended 50 hour oil change intervals. Will it be a good idea to change it more often?

- When I lived in Germany, we were told to buy used vehicles from older people. Because old people not driving on autobahn in the left lane. They believed back then that high rpm kills engines. Is it true that we should run our engines at lowest RPM as possible to prolong their lives?

- Some guys believe that you supposed to operate your 912 engine between 5000-5500 RPM. I talked to her a tax representative at Oshkosh the summer and they tell me that it's OK to go down to 4300 RPM.

- They also tell me that my 1 inch balancing tube between intake manifold is absolute nonsense. But I do feel the difference at low RPM. To have two separate engines with two separate carburetors spinning one crankshaft was not a good idea. Right or wrong?

Back