Geared Drives

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by akbuilder, Jan 26, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 22, 2014 #41

RickMuller

RickMuller

RickMuller

I followed Bud for a period of time and it appeared to be a good product. I have spoken to the fellow in Ft. Worth and he seems to be moving along with Bud's work. When Bud dropped off the radar I began looking at alternatives. I settled in on an airboat gearbox/reduction drive made by Stinger. Stinger sort of has a web site, but it isn't much. If you have ever seen the way people drive airboats it's not exactly nice to the prop/gear box. They will scream along at 60 mph and do a 180 or 360 on the water. I have no idea what the load on the prop is like, but these people talk about busting blades all the time. Yet the Stinger gear box typically survives this nonsense. My rational was I will never put that much load on the gearbox. The Stinger people have an aviation model with larger bearings than the airboat model. The airboat model I have seen on the web for $2,500 and the aviation model is around $4k. There are other airboat models out there, but they are belt driven, the Stinger is a gear based design.

2. Apr 22, 2014 #42

Vipor_GG

Vipor_GG

Vipor_GG

It's my understanding they prefer to deal with dealers only, but their site list a few dealers.

When I lived in Florida I saw things done that I wouldn't dream of doing and I've been called crazy for some of the things I've done.