Gearbox Chip Detector

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Log Member
The HIO Lycoming I have out in the shop has a chip detector in the oil sump. Might look at Lycoming parts manuals for a PN.

Pale Bear

HBA Supporter
All of the Military Helicopters I worked on had them also, yes some false alarms but prevented a lot of crashes, lost equipment & lives.
Ah yes, .. chip detectors. I believe that Hueys had 4 of them. In peace-time, they having the luxury of jerking out the possibly bad component and sending it away to depot level maintenance, to get scrutinized. I don't recall if they (depot) would report back to the flying unit, about what they found, on that suspicious part, or not? I should add, .. a drain & flush of the oil, most likely happened then too, and an oil sample would be done, right away .. so maybe removing & replacing wasn't always done? I was a part timer, .. not really in the loop, about these kinds of things.

My Guard unit went to depot, (Corpus Christi) a few times, for our annual training. I got a chance to work in non-destructive testing, at one point .. handle parts & examine them .. look at them with black lights, .. for cracks. Worked there for a day, .. I didn't find any dingers.

Last edited:

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Don,

Sounds like they must be pretty simple gadgets. If we are expected to build one, we would need to know how it works, what critical dimensions or detail characteristics it is to have, etc. Please tell the us (or the OP) the important details or point us to documents that have them.

Bill
A magnet, led and a photosensor are all the basic parts. Im sure you can get 12v parts and not even need a regulator.

Cutting a hold in your case, well that's the real question.