Gearbox Chip Detector

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

galapoola

If we're talking about a magnet embedded in the drain plug, how about Graingers or McMasters? Sometime you can find odd ball sizes of things in that aisle at Pe Boys or Advanced Auto, lots of generic/universal blister pack parts.

Heliano

My advise is: have a look at the magnetic oil plugs available among hi-end motorbikes and cars, especially BMW cars. And congrats for deciding to use a chip detector in your PSRU. It is highly advisable.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
build your own -
Don,

Sounds like they must be pretty simple gadgets. If we are expected to build one, we would need to know how it works, what critical dimensions or detail characteristics it is to have, etc. Please tell the us (or the OP) the important details or point us to documents that have them.

Bill

Russell

Myron, I used to fly for a patrol company. They thought chip detectors would give early warning of problems and save the high cost of major repairs. Detectors were add to all their piston aircraft. After about a year they removed all of the detectors. Frequent false alarms kept the aircraft grounded and they NEVER FOUND ANY PROBLEMS from the detector warnings.
Russell Sherwood

TXFlyGuy

Myron, I used to fly for a patrol company. They thought chip detectors would give early warning of problems and save the high cost of major repairs. Detectors were add to all their piston aircraft. After about a year they removed all of the detectors. Frequent false alarms kept the aircraft grounded and they NEVER FOUND ANY PROBLEMS from the detector warnings.
Russell Sherwood
Russell - Yes, that is what I'm learning. Thanks for the info!

Kyle Boatright

A false positive is an annoyance.

Missing out on a true positive can be very dangerous and expensive.

Given the experimental nature of this PSRU, I'd vote for, not against, a chip detector.

Russell

I give you that there is a big difference between an engine and a gearbox. Two different environments that the detector would work in.
However, like the little boy that kept hollering “Wolf”, soon his alarms were ignored. Over time, don’t all humans have a tendency to ignore false alarms?

Kyle Boatright

However, like the little boy that kept hollering “Wolf”, soon his alarms were ignored. Over time, don’t all humans have a tendency to ignore false alarms?
Given the history of experimental PSRU's (not specifically this one), I'd be actively looking for wolves. Relatively speaking, he's strolling through a Siberian forest. There are wolves in there...

TXFlyGuy

Just spoke with an OEM manufacturer. False positives happen, but are typically reduced to nearly zero after the engine (gearbox) is fully run in. There will be a lot of metal flying around initially, but that drops off after a few hours.

delta

Rik-

Just spoke with an OEM manufacturer. False positives happen, but are typically reduced to nearly zero after the engine (gearbox) is fully run in. There will be a lot of metal flying around initially, but that drops off after a few hours.
Does the manufacturer recommend a chip detector? If so can they not supply one?

We have frag detectors on the T58's and T55's but they don't show as much as a good magnet in the reservoir.

Group Builder