• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

gauge accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
How accurate should I expect an engine gauge be? 1%? 2% 5%?

Never had any trouble with the oil temp gauge in my Hatz until yesterday, when it maxed out at 150° on a hot day when it should have been at least 190°, as it was on the previous flight. Can't think of any scenario that would make my engine run 40° colder than normal, so the gauge is kaput. It's an old Aircraft Spruce branded "Arrow" gauge that may be original to the plane.

A year ago the oil pressure gauge went and I replaced it with a Bosch automotive gauge with no problems. Today I bought the matching temp gauge, figured I'd check it in boiling water, it read 205° or slightly less when it should have been exactly 212°. So, around 3% low. I could exchange it for another one... which might be better... or might be worse.

I know, just remember the offset and mark the redline appropriately. I'm just spoiled by the lab grade gauges I use at work.

Back