Gasket sealant.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

80driver

Had to pull the cylinder and have it overhauled on my Continental A-65 because of low compression. Replacing the gasket on the lifter body cover because it is leaking. The old gasket was stuck on pretty good so I assume there was some sort of sealer on the gasket. Would it be normal to use a sealer in this gasket and the intake gasket and if so what would be recommended? Thanks!

Daleandee

I like aviation sealer on the cooler side i.e. between the gasket and the cover. On the other side (gasket against the engine) I use a bit of engine oil or perhaps a light coat of grease. Whenever the cover has to come back off it will easily separate from the engine.

Nothing worse than having to scrape a gasket off an engine surface while trying to keep all the pieces from getting/falling into the engine.

FWIW ...

Pops

Supporting Member
I like aviation sealer on the cooler side i.e. between the gasket and the cover. On the other side (gasket against the engine) I use a bit of engine oil or perhaps a light coat of grease. Whenever the cover has to come back off it will easily separate from the engine.

Nothing worse than having to scrape a gasket off an engine surface while trying to keep all the pieces from getting/falling into the engine.

FWIW ...
That is what I do on the VW valve cover pans .