• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gascolator for fuel injected Engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thez

I'am currently building a low wing sport plane and planning on using the UL Power 350i engine. Have been doing a little research and found some points against using a gascolator...Looking for some insight pro/con

Filtering-will have a screen on fuel tank, UL uses coarse filter before fuel pumps and fine filter before injectors

1. Gascolator is another leak source, also since it is on the suction side of the pumps, air could possibly be sucked in causing cavition of the pumps which is worse then any water in them.
2. Increased resistance on pump
3. If gascolator is located on firewall side, engine compartment heat and lower pressure could cause vapor lock potential.
4. If Mogas with Ethynol is used (UL- allows up to 15%), water would be engrained in the fuel.
5. The high volume of returned fuel vs burned fuel causes any possible water to be mixed thoughly with fuel where it would not be noticed by the engine and eliminate and chance of water slug.
6. As with any AP, tanks should be sumped as part of preflight. When a pump is turned on the lines are purged in about 1 second. This could also be used a secondary preflight procedure to resump.

Vans, Airflow Performance (injector manufacturer) and Jan at Viking all don't recommend Gascolators with fuel injected (Think I'm quoting correctly)
Joe

Back