GAS TANK

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

tlcasey100

Where/how does it mount? If it's basically a cube shape, there are off the shelf options.
1642462003116.png
And by the same logic, when one installs the fuel tank in or on the vehicle, it becomes part of the vehicle. You make the argument true with the firearm analogy. Attach something to the lower receiver, it becomes a defining part of the overall firearm.
You also make the statement true with the watch analogy, one can't choose to hold the gasoline in their shirt pocket or cupped hands, where those containers would not be part of the vehicle. It has to be in a suitable container and that container is part of the vehicle regardless of method of attachment to the vehicle.
DO YOU KNOW OF A MANUFACTURER WHO MAKES A FUEL TANK OF THE SHAPE UNDER THE CAGE LIKE IN THE PICTURE?

Aesquire

You haven't given ANY numbers other than capacity, so which of these you like I wouldn't know.

Also Turn off CAPS LOCK! That's considered shouting and is rude.

I personally prefer plastic, strapped down, marine type tanks with a handle, if they can be removed. That allows a hike to the gas station to get flying again if you land out. If a semi permanent part of the craft, go for the lightest.

Don't know about cupped hands, I usually use them on the controls.. But a 3 gallon plastic tank fits nicely in a seat pack. More important for 2 stroke engines is oil bottles well secured. Modern gas stations may not have appropriate oil.

TFF

I don’t think any of that will get the fuel where it was designed to be on that aircraft.

For the OP, you probably need to cut everything out yourself and find the fittings you will use, and take it to someone local who can weld it up for you. There is always someone local who can do it. You are just going to have to hunt them down.

1Bad88

US Plastics has some tank options too but none with a curved top that I've seen

speedracer

If it is a Part 103, I have seen where builders built a shelf that incorporated a seat belt. Then used a portable 5 gallon marine fuel tank with a handle and quick disconnect. Ran the seat belt through the handle and sinched tight. Since the tank is not a permanent part of the structure of the "not-an-aircraft," it does not count against the permissible 254 pound empty weight. (Neither do removable custom seat cushions used to permit two "non-airplane-pilots" of differing sizes to fly the same craft without resorting to heavier adjustable seat mechanisms. If you are strapped in the cushion is trapped in place.) Alternatively Univair, Aircraft Spruce, or ??? may sell a light weight aluminum or polyethylene unit that ends up being lighter. The trick being to get one that is no more than exactly 5 gallons.
So long as you NEVER attach it yes... The same way I can own a 10" barrel and upper receiver but I need a Federal Tax Stamp to attach it to a lower receiver and make a SBR. Rules be rules, whether they make any sense or not.

Polyethylene is light. Having a removable fuel tank likely saves scant weight, but it's really convenient. But while there is no specific list of equipment that "must" be carried on a Part 103 "not-an-aircraft" there are things that "bust" it out of Part 103. Fuel capacity over 5 gallons is one of those. I know somebody who has two five gallon "football" tanks hung from the jury struts on a parasol. But there is only one set of equipment to feed the engine. At some point the "not-a-pilot" lands and swaps the footballs.

Likewise one can carry a five gallon gas can-- secured with bungees or a strap-- in the baggage compartment and refill when convenient. There is no rule limiting how much fuel you carry, just how big the tank is. Same with a clock, mount it on the instrument panel and it counts as part of the empty weight. Wear it on your wrist it does not.

There is no requirement under 103 for any gauges, airspeed, altitude, compass. Personally, if weight were tight I'd just have an EGT / CHT, calibrate the throttle on the ground, and use smartphone apps for the rest. Mount a bracket for your device on the panel, the mount counts against the empty weight, but a cell phone or tablet in the mount does not.
Lois, maybe I'm late to the party, but what does the graph with the different colors signify? Just curios. My state's white. Should I move?

Stuffengineer

Their site says they will not make tanks for aircraft. I have a tank made by them and it is very heavy. Replaced it with riveted sealed tank.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will have to get a lot more specific about the shape and dimensions of the tank than just throwing a photo out there. We do not know what the width, length, height, or what the curved shape is, and that is needed. Maybe if the space is to the plans, you will find a supplier who makes tanks to the plans.

OH, and if you turn off the CAPS LOCK, more people are inclined to help. That is two moderators asking...

Billski

MACOWA

Formula 4 sports cars and lightning class sail boats are both constructed under strict specifications that are adhered to by those who build and enjoy them. I suppose one could either accept the 103 challenge or fly light sport.