Garmin SL40....that's dirty pool old man !

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

djmcfall

If you have a ham radio buddy have him/her dig a surface mount capacitor out of their junk box and give it a shot. What do you have to lose. Can you find a schematic to determine the value of the capacitor? If not just try any value, if it doesn’t work, sell it for $50 as a parts radio.

cosmos

I agree, Garmin's flat rate repair can be infuriating. It's also true that they still support ancient hardware, so conflicting feelings here.

Those caps are pretty big, and sitting around an inductor, so they are probably bulk filter caps, and value is not as important as if they were part of a filter. Likely the reason it popped is because it is doing some heavy filtering, generating more heat, which shortens its life. They love to fail shorted.

Last edited:

FinnFlyer

If you can, measure the voltage across it. Could be 5V, 12V. If more than 5V get the largest 16V capacitor that will fit (Digikey, Mouser ...). Or look at the writing on the nearby similar cap. You don't need a surface mount cap for testing. Remove the old one and temporarily solder any cap of the estimated value and see if it solves the problem. Then order the surface mount cap and install it permanently. BTW, the big round brown cap above it looks like its top have epanded? Might be a good idea to replace it too. Would also suggest trying to trace the circuit around the burned cap and see if any component around it might have caused the burn.

TFF

The problem with radios that are not hams is legal repair. You can go in and fix it yourself but it’s on the QT. Without the correct FCC license or manufacture license, your not supposed to touch.

It’s not my issue now, but I had a SL40 that is slowly smoking. Opened it up to see the components. The newer ones are surface mount components. They don’t fix, Garmin throws the board away and grabs another. When boards are gone, no more repairs.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
What I have an issue with is the $900 flat fee for parts,labor and shipping.
So you have a $10 circuit board (probably their cost),employee time to swap components and test (15 minutes),box it up and ship it back to dealer (30 minutes time & $20 shipping)............I'm just not seeing $900 flat fee.
They are playing dirty pool and making a killing with service...........
Just my opinion...

Kevin

Why would you have an issue with the flat fee? That’s how they work ,some people Pay 900 for a $20 repair other people pay 900 for a $1500 repair .

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Having owned an electronics repair company, I can say that if your numbers were to drop a zero on both sides of the equation, it might be closer to accurate. But there isn't $1500 in replacing an entire SL40. If the repairs were really that expensive, Garmin (and other mfgrs; it ain't just Garmin) would be happy to share their repair manuals with any and all FCC-legal repair stations because they'd have no fear of competition. Remember, the mfgr recovers its R&D costs *and* makes its profit in the initial sale of the product. Actual cost of electronics, up to and including entire PC boards, is a tiny fraction of the total cost of a product. When a mfgr charges outlandish prices for repairs (or even just the parts), they're either profiteering on their own poor product design or they're trying to push the customer into the latest replacement product.

Way back in the near-prehistoric days when CD players (remember those?) were new, one very big consumer electronics mfgr was charging ~$150-200 for a CD player. The laser modules were quite prone to failure in those early units, and the mfgr charged the authorized warranty stations about $60 wholesale for the laser module. It took about 2 hours of labor to properly align the module, after ~1 hour of troubleshooting & installation of the part, at ~$40/hr. We got reimbursed for actual parts cost, and labor at about half the market rate, if the product was in warranty. Once it was out of warranty, the customer just refused the repair & bought a new one (which was the mfgr's goal when they set the wholesale price of the part).

BJC

Supporting Member
When a mfgr charges outlandish prices for repairs (or even just the parts), they're either profiteering on their own poor product design or they're trying to push the customer into the latest replacement product.
Well, we are discussing Garmin, and they didn’t design it, so it must be the latter.

Have I mentioned that I dislike Garmin’s business practices?

BJC

MadProfessor8138

Why would you have an issue with the flat fee? That’s how they work ,some people Pay 900 for a $20 repair other people pay 900 for a $1500 repair .

So,if I'm understanding you correctly.....
I should be appreciative of Garmin for trying to charge me $900 to fix a $30 problem and using my bank account to pay for the $1,500 problem someone else is having ?

Well, parts of California are paying $5.98 for a gallon of 87 octane fuel while the average around the country is around $3.69 per gallon.
So,you should have no problem whipping out that wallet of yours and sending the oil companies a flat rate of $14.70 a gallon every time you get fuel from now on.
You wouldn't want those guys to lose out on their money........right ??????
I mean it's only fair that you tote the load for everyone else......it's just good business and the right thing to do,not to mention that those big-wig oil guys will appreciate the hell out of ya.
Does $14.70 a gallon for 87 octane seem a bit steep and unfair to you ?
We completely understand,so have no fear......for just a little more $$$ we can move you up to our new and improved 91 octane.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Have I mentioned that I dislike Garmin’s business practices?

And that's exactly why the unit was pulled from the panel and literally thrown across the shop hitting the wall........it was replaced with a brand new unit from their competitor.
I even pulled a new Garmin GPS out of my panel and literally gave it away.
Garmin will "NEVER" be in any aircraft that I own......"EVER AGAIN" !!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Pilot-34

So,if I'm understanding you correctly.....
I should be appreciative of Garmin for trying to charge me $900 to fix a $30 problem and using my bank account to pay for the $1,500 problem someone else is having ?

Well, parts of California are paying $5.98 for a gallon of 87 octane fuel while the average around the country is around $3.69 per gallon.
So,you should have no problem whipping out that wallet of yours and sending the oil companies a flat rate of $14.70 a gallon every time you get fuel from now on.
You wouldn't want those guys to lose out on their money........right ??????
I mean it's only fair that you tote the load for everyone else......it's just good business and the right thing to do,not to mention that those big-wig oil guys will appreciate the hell out of ya.
Does $14.70 a gallon for 87 octane seem a bit steep and unfair to you ?
We completely understand,so have no fear......for just a little more $$$ we can move you up to our new and improved 91 octane.

Kevin

Lol DONT BLAME ME FOR YOUR CHOICES !

If you wanna gamble it’s not my fault if you lose.
It’s funny most people choose a flat fee because they know their cost and see it as the opposite of a gamble. But you’re simply betting against the house.

MadProfessor8138

DONT BLAME ME FOR YOUR CHOICES !

Actually wasn't my choice......the equipment was already installed in an aircraft that I purchased.
Pleeeeeeaase.......I may be dumb but I'm not stupid......mostly 😆 .
I would never willingly spend my money with a company that does business in the manner that Garmin does.

I actually have no problem at all with a flat fee.
Many of my equipment suppliers for my business have flat fees and it's an asset to my operation.
What I have a problem with is the flat fee rate with Garmin.
I can spend $900 to fix a $30 dollar problem with them...or I can spend $1,200 and get a brand new updated unit.
As an example :
My saw at work is $95k......so going by Garmins flat fee rate,the next time I have a $15 circuit board pop on the computer system...that should cost me roughly $78k to fix.
Funny,because they only charge me $40 per circuit board and then they uplink to the system to program it for me whenever I install one,which happens a few times a year.
Great company to work with and I sing their praises all the time.

I have no issues with a flat fee......
What I have an issue with is companies that blatantly try to rob you when you do business with them.
Garmin may have the newest wizz-bang 2022 model of equipment....but remember,Garmin did not design nor build that equipment...they are merely suppliers.
They are making a killing just by being the middle man.

Kevin

Pilot-34

Of course different companies have different profit models.
Now I’ve never had a Garman repair are there other shops that can repair a Garman?
Of course if there’s not it not only devalues the aircraft they’re in it devalues their equipment because I don’t buy equipment at that price that I can’t get fixed.
Currently John Deere is having some severe problems because you may not even be able to replace a fuel filter without calling their tech people out into the field
Turning fuel filter repair from $12 to 600 is affecting the thinking of people buying quarter million dollar machines

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
The JD problem is what might actually get 'Right to Repair' legislation passed. Farmers have bigger teeth than we do, so perhaps the politicians will listen. But even though our teeth are small, we do have a lot of them, if all consumers would start chewing on legislators.

Derswede

Not really sure if I want to wade into this cesspool, BUT....the Chinese (who make a huge number of the components in such devices) allegedly stole the formulas for capacitor manufacturing from the Japanese. The story goes that they got most of the fabrication right, but messed up one step (or missed it when they snatched the specs) and the lifespan of those caps was quite short. I have peeled open many a PC (Mac and Dell were affected by this), swapped out the caps and got the unit running again. I have a tiny little ham radio that had problems with the transmitter due to a batch of bad "Driver transistors". Darn things are about the size of a flea. As I own one of the "surface mount" soldering systems, I popped the radio open, put on my strongest glasses and swapped out the transistors. Not possible with your typical Weller soldering gun, but lots of places do such repair. Might look locally for a company that fixes AC drives and such, industrial repair. Might be able to get a local tech to look at it for beer money.

Derswede ( and yup, I am a ham)

C Michael Hoover

Employ board changers, not repairman.

True, true. Problem is trying to find anyone who can troubleshoot a circuit. I started fixing component stereo's (hi-fi) back in the mid-60's, repaired facsimile machines (tube) for a while and then owned a stereo repair shop from '68 for many years. In '72 I hired a guy who had military electronic tech experience and worked on stereos at the AF base club in Spain. I quickly found that his entire experience was replacing circuit boards! Needless to say, he did not last long.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
Hah. I had a similar experience in my consumer electronics repair business, over a decade later. Guy was something like a, 'fire control repair tech' (?) in the Navy for a full tour. Didn't know how to solder. Literally did not know what to do with a soldering iron. Fortunately, I discovered that in the initial 'interview': Here's a turntable with broken leads to the cartridge; solder on some new terminals. 'Whaaaattt?'

Pilot-34

Lol I might be that guy I literally have no idea when it comes to electricity
But I do have enough sense to know realize if I open up the case and there’s a burnt spot that’s probably the thing that needs fixed.

I did that a few times and I got a local reputation of being an electronics repair guy.I assure you if you can fix one one elecTronics thing in 10 even though you destroy the other nine you are a electronics genius
Well poof my abilities completely disappeared when RadioShack did.

Last edited: