Garmin EFIS Failure Rates?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by TXFlyGuy, Oct 20, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Does anyone know the actual failure rate history of the Garmin EFIS display? How about the ADAHRS failure rates? Or, do they never fail?
    Can you run a single G3X Touch, and have dual ADAHRS?

2. Oct 20, 2015 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

You can have two ADAHRS with either calibration. Failure probably few if none yet, but it is man made, it can fail. The only problem with Garmin equipment is the rape Garmin does if it does fail out of warrantee. Garmin has too much at stake to put something out bad.

SVSUSteve likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #3

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

I simply called Garmin. Zero failure of EFIS screens that they knew off. The technician said he has never replaced a single screen.

4. Oct 20, 2015 #4

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Read the October issue of Kitplanes magazine and get back to us if you still want to fly IMC with a single screen.

SVSUSteve and autoreply like this.
  5. Oct 23, 2015 #5

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Never stated that I (or anyone) wants to fly IFR with a single display. Only wanted to find out the failure rate for the EFIS display and the ADAHRS.

Decided to go with the G3X Touch, plus the GRT Mini as a backup. Both with ADAHRS, both with independent battery backup. The odds of me having a heart attack inflight are greater than the odds of losing both of these displays simultaneously. Oh...that's not good!

ekimneirbo and SVSUSteve like this.
  6. Oct 24, 2015 #6

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Both of which are roughly the same odds as this Jew being elected the next Pope. LOL

7. Oct 24, 2015 #7

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The first Pope was a Jew, as was his mentor. Neither one was a pilot, although that was not an impediment to one.

BJC

dcstrng and SVSUSteve like this.
  8. Oct 24, 2015 #8

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

Touche. But given that there hasn't been a declarative Jew as Pope in around 2000 thousand years, the analogy still stands. The odds aren't great.

Kind of like the joke that was translated to me by a Polish friend about how John Paul II was a "fine Polish boy who was for many years the Pope and is now the country's main airport". Somehow, I think it loses some of its humor in the translation. LOL

BJC likes this.
  9. Oct 25, 2015 #9

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

We have several customers flying the G1000. We've seen a couple of AHRS failures and yesterday we replaced a magnetometer, which is also known to fail occasionally. The magnetometer is the thing we used to call a flux gate (it senses the earth's magnetic field for the HSI's heading function) but in these systems that magnetometer also senses the inclination of the magnetic field (magnetic dip) and uses that info as part of the attitude reference. The magnetometer communicates with the AHRS. We couldn't get attitude reference with the magnetometer dead.

Of all the systems in an airplane or a car or truck or motorbike, the electrical system is the most vulnerable and prone to failure. In engines it carries as much as 90% of the legitimate blame for performance problems. Ironically, electrical and electronic systems are the weakest area of knowledge for most mechanics as well as aircraft owners, which is why we are forever reading unhelpful suggestions that the fuel system or carburetor are at fault when someone is describing some engine problem. Traditional airplane engines have one fuel system and one carburetor but they have two magnetos, which tells you something about the habits of electrical devices. Some airplanes have two alternators on one engine. The G1000 airplanes have two batteries and SIX buses (older non-G1000 airplanes had two buses).

I love working on electrical and electronic systems. I started fooling with electronics 50 years ago. But that experience also tells me how many ways they can fail and how difficult it can be to find the gremlin, and how carefully these things have to be designed and set up. In airplanes vibration is a big problem with these systems, too.

blane.c and dcstrng like this.
  10. Oct 25, 2015 #10

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

I don't feel so bad then. The rough layout of the electrical stuff for the Praetorian has five primary plus an emergency bus.

Guess who will be getting a LOT of PMs when I get to the electrical detail design phase. LOL

11. Oct 25, 2015 #11

Pops

Pops

Pops

Dan Thomas-- When my youngest son was about 19 years old in the mid 80's, he built his own flux gate that also sensed the inclination of the magnetic field and fed to a computer that he designed and built, ( I designed and built the PC boards for him) and made a nav system much like a gps. Just had to tell it what hemisphere it was in.

I also have been interested in smoke in wires since I scratch built my first model airplane RC radio equipment in 1958.

Another Dan

Joe Fisher, ekimneirbo and SVSUSteve like this.
  12. Oct 25, 2015 #12

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

That's pretty impressive, for both of you. *tip of the hat*

13. Oct 25, 2015 #13

Pops

Pops

Pops

The down side was the local mag field disturbances from iron deposit's.
    My son got interested in the stock market when he was 12 years old and the nav project got put on hold and forgot about when at 24 years old, a semi-truck tanker hit him head on while driving on the interstate at night and spend 2 years in hospitals with a head injury, after that his full effort went to the stock market. Did very, very good. Now 50 years old with 2 boys.

Dan

14. Oct 25, 2015 #14

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, he did well because he was raised well.

Not to insult you by comparison to an elder, but your attitude reminds me a lot of my grandfather's. He raised me to give respect where it is due and if I was curious to learn about it to the greatest degree possible. I owe him a lot and still think of him constantly even though he's been dead over a decade now. There's still a lot for me to learn and try but he helped a lot in setting the stage for me to do so.

You and I don't see eye to eye, but I still learn a lot from your posts both directly and by them leading me to think more about my own ideas. Thank you for that.

15. Oct 25, 2015 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

Steve, I also learn a lot from your post, glad you are back. I grew up with my grandfather (1876-1959) and also miss him. Great man.

Dan

16. Oct 25, 2015 #16

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Question: Should we go with dual Garmin G3X Touch EFIS displays (dual ADAHRS), or a single G3X Touch and a GRT Mini-X?

Why?

17. Oct 26, 2015 #17

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

That means a lot. :)

Sorry TXFlyGuy for the derail.

18. Oct 26, 2015 #18

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

19. Oct 26, 2015 #19

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

The link just took my phone to the Dynon homepage. What am I looking for?

20. Oct 26, 2015 #20

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

SVSUSteve likes this.