Garage with 2 doors???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

GuinnessGuy74

Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I am planning starting a homebuilt project. I know a two car garage is good enough, but has anyone ever built their plane in a two-door two car garage. My garage is 20x21 but has one garage door for each car.

The plane I plan on building has a stub wing span of 16 ft (total span of 25 with the outboard wings). Not sure if I should even start this project as I will have no way to get it out (unless I knock out the divider when I am ready to move it out...structural issues then?)

I am curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this dilemma or not. Thanks for all the replies...

Jim

Joe Fisher

There are ways to do things. When I went to A&P school the warehouse that we used for a hanger had three role up doors 15' each with tracks that you would retract after all three were open with a boat winch. My airplane had a 22' span and 17' long it didn't take long to find out I could open just the middle door put the nose in to one side so one wing would clear roll the airplane froward and turn it and not have to open all three doors. It might be your airplane would go in and out with out the engine and tail.Think about it.Others have built in a basement and then dug out a basement wall to get it out if you can build an airplane dealing with a garage door should be easy.

LGM

Hello everyone. I have a quick question. I am planning starting a homebuilt project. I know a two car garage is good enough, but has anyone ever built their plane in a two-door two car garage. My garage is 20x21 but has one garage door for each car.

The plane I plan on building has a stub wing span of 16 ft (total span of 25 with the outboard wings). Not sure if I should even start this project as I will have no way to get it out (unless I knock out the divider when I am ready to move it out...structural issues then?)

I am curious to know if anyone else has dealt with this dilemma or not. Thanks for all the replies...

Jim
I'm a contractor and I can tell you you'll probably have a huge problem if you knock out the divider between the doors. I won't say it can't be done, but in all probability you'll have to brace the ceiling/roof, remove both doors and the 2 support headers above them and replace it with a single door with a longer engineered support header. Almost always the header beams over the doors carry and transfer the load from the ceiling and roof down to the foundation. Absolutly consult either a reputable contrator (building or door) or an engineer.
All that said, it might still work if you can turn the plane so one wing clears the door, slide the plane sideways on some movers or car dollies.

Good luck,

LGM

Midniteoyl

Have to agree: knocking out that center post(s) will bring the roof down on your head.

Last edited by a moderator:

windair

I'm a contractor and I can tell you you'll probably have a huge problem if you knock out the divider between the doors.
LGM
Not necessarily true. If your garage with a typical gable roof and the doors are in the gable end, the divider post most likely does not carry any structural roof load.

jimw

Not necessarily true. If your garage with a typical gable roof and the doors are in the gable end, the divider post most likely does not carry any structural roof load.
I have been in construction 35 years and I have to say there is a pretty thin chance that is the case. I have to agree with LGM and Midniteoyl.

Sorry for the news.
Jim

Last edited:

xj35s

As for the gable end it can be done. I'm building a Garage right now that will be 32x60. one end of this will be my hanger door. I wanted it on the back side but the contractor said no. 30' is too much spread to support a snow load. The end however will have a large double plywood header connecting the two corner posts.

If you have a two car garage and the doors are not on the gable end. how much height do you have? With a heavy plywood header it could be done. If there are any dairies in your area go look at their over head door setup in the large cow barn. Any large pole barn will have this header I'm talking about.

kent Ashton

You might get the fuselage out the door by rotating it 45 degrees and turning it so that one stub-wing comes out first. I have done that with a Cozy IV fuselage by putting the nose on a low dolly and lifting it at the firewall with an engine hoist. Maneuver one strake out the door then move the fuselage over against the doorframe to get the other strake out. The limiting factor on a canard airplane is the distance from the wing-root/fuselage intersection to the opposite stub. What are you building?
-Kent

GuinnessGuy74

I agree that simply knocking out the post would be bad. And to do it right might be kinda pricey!!

I am starting to exploer the possibility of seeing if I have the room to maneuver it like Kent said. One stub wing out, then swing the nose out, and then see if I can get the other stub out. Of course this means no mounting of the engine while in the garage....

Gotta examine this further. Thanks for all the replies.

Kent - I am looking to build a composite KR2S (Scott Watts Super2). I was considering building a bearhawk at one point, maybe I should reconsider that again...

Jim

kent Ashton

I am looking to build a composite KR2S (Scott Watts Super2). I was considering building a bearhawk at one point, maybe I should reconsider that again...
I like the Bearhawk but if you're building from plans a BH takes quite a bit of shop equipment. How about a Long-EZ? A lot less tooling needed and builder support is pretty good. Download the plans here
http://www.canardzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Get in touch if you need composite help. I live in Concord (NC)
kjashton_AT_vnet.net
-Kent

wally

I am starting to exploer the possibility of seeing if I have the room to maneuver it like Kent said. One stub wing out, then swing the nose out, and then see if I can get the other stub out. Of course this means no mounting of the engine while in the garage....

Jim
An easy way to see if it can be done is draw a plan view (looking down) scale model of your existing garage and door as well as a cardboard outline of the proposed plane to the same scale. if you can lay the model in the garage and can work it out the door, then you will know. It might later involve setting the plane up on temporary castors to make it easier to move around.
Good luck!
Wally

GuinnessGuy74

Wally,

Haha, thats exactly what I am doing. Well, going to do I should say.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Kent,

I will definitely take you up on your offer when I start, I really appreciate it. Maybe catch a look at your bird(s) and a ride in your Cozy, haha :ban:

Jim

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I attended Parks College (an aviation school) back in the 1970's. One year a group of students pulled a prank, which involved leaving an airplane (I believe it was a C-150 from the flight school) inside the engineering building lobby. Nobody could figure out how to get it out without removing the wings, so that's what they did.:shock: Nobody could figure out how they got the wings mounted and all the controls reconnected, fairings reinstalled, etc., in the time between security guard rounds.:ponder:

A week or so later they sent a package to the engineering department chairman, with drawings and cardboard cutouts, describing the elaborate series of very precise moves necessary to get it through the doors without taking anything apart. :gig:

-Dana

"Makers of oils will assure you their lubricants will last the life of the transmission. This may be true, but that life can be longer if you change the oil.

Group Builder