• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale FW190D 75% Jurca replica for sale (NZ)

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pfarber

I see more of a corsair vibe with that 40ft nose and cockpit just forward of the horz stab.

Also the engine exhaust is raising questions

TFF

FW wasn’t as favored as Messerschmitt and was given Jumo bomber engine because they were not going to get an allotment of Daimler Benz engines. That was the only way they were going to get more horsepower. They didn’t have time to redesign for water cooled so they kept the radial look. They made a pretty good airplane for being hand tied. I like the prettier 190A for looks, but I bet if I was getting shot at, I would want the best I could get at the time.

flitzerpilot

The D9 eventually evolved into the Ta 152 and long-winged Ta 152H, both excellent aeroplanes. There were several iterations along the way, including the supercharged Kanguru, featuring a deep ventral radiator, reminiscent of a P-51.

flitzerpilot

Although this reply refers to small replica fighters generally, not Fw 109's, and more specifically Matt's request for a 'Tropicalised' Sidlinger Hurricane, I am posting this here as the only available position currently on the site. I attach the modified Sidlinger Hurricane and a slightly stretched version (about 10%) to re-create something more of the real Hurricane' s sleek appeal. The other image is of the requested Vokes filter-equipped Hurricane, showing the longer spinner of the Mk. ll and a somewhat unusual scheme. I could not resist including this wonderful photograph by the late Charles E. Brown of a Mk llC.

Attachments

• Sidlinger Hurricane 117440-29a19db7e4cca03ceca52c8b36537d45.jpg
    Sidlinger Hurricane 117440-29a19db7e4cca03ceca52c8b36537d45.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Sidlinger Hurricane stretched 117440-29a19db7e4g.jpg
    Sidlinger Hurricane stretched 117440-29a19db7e4g.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sidlinger Hurricane stretched with  Vokes 117440-29a19db7e4g.jpg
    Sidlinger Hurricane stretched with Vokes 117440-29a19db7e4g.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • Hurricane llc7169778521_e605196125_b.jpg
    Hurricane llc7169778521_e605196125_b.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 0

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Thanks, Lynn, great stuff as usual. Not surprisingly I really like the one with the Vokes filter, though the 10% stretch that is so easy with a digital image is probably more of a structural and aerodynamic change than I would want to tackle.

Just for fun here is Lynn's stretched version with the Vokes filter that I have shortened 10% to return to the original Sindlinger 5/8 scale. I think it still looks pretty darn good! I have added the original Sindlinger 5/8 scale version and a drawing of a real Hurricane with Vokes filter for comparison.

lynn modified sindlinger hurricane with vokes shrunk 10%.jpeg
Sindlinger vs actual Hurricane II Trop.jpg

Last edited:

flitzerpilot

Matt, I don't think the stretch would be a big deal structurally or aerodynamically given the construction of the Sidlinger Hurricane. If anything it should be more stable with a wider CG envelope, and unless you are lower than what is now average height, the stretch would suit you better. The top of the canopy hood, btw, is unchanged, just the rail raised to restore the canopy to its original aspect, matching the rest of the aircraft.

Bill-Higdon

Thanks, Lynn, great stuff as usual. Not surprisingly I really like the one with the Vokes filter, though the 10% stretch that is so easy with a digital image is probably more of a structural and aerodynamic change than I would want to tackle.

Just for fun here is Lynn's stretched version with the Vokes filter that I have shortened 10% to return to the original Sindlinger 5/8 scale. I think it still looks pretty darn good! I have added the original Sindlinger 5/8 scale version and a drawing of a real Hurricane with Vokes filter for comparison.

View attachment 130426
View attachment 130425
Some work and you could have Typhoon

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Some work and you could have Typhoon

Now that’s an interesting idea, reworking the Sindlinger into a min-Typhoon Mk Ib from the Falaise gap period! Maybe go with a side-hinged arrangement including the fuselage decking for entry and exit but keep the sliding bubble canopy for effect. An adjustable-height seat would let you get your head high in the canopy for maximum visibility and I think you could enlarge the canopy a little without ruining the effect.

1664696303133.jpeg

Last edited:

flitzerpilot

A skilled friend of mine was way ahead of you on the Typhoon. He originally proposed a full size version though using Gipsy V-12 or a Queen, with a much lightened rear fuselage but later limited the option to a scaled down version. He had collected several of the big Gipsy motors for such an enterprise, but ultimately he changed tack towards a British racing machine from the 1930's. It's a pity but life's exigencies tend to thwart the dreams of the most single-minded among us.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Unfortunately, I think I am going to have take back the "Sindlinger Tornado" suggestion. Overlaying a Tornado profile on the Sindlinger, the fuselage and tail all work but the wing position definitely does not. Part of the somewhat "brutish" look of the Tiffy is the short nose thanks to the dense and heavy engine and radiator installation, the Sindlinder wing position is too far back and it would unfortunately look off and lose the Typhoon vibe. The Typhoon would be a good candidate for an original design fighter replica with a relatively heavy engine installation like a GM V-8 with iron block and cylinders where you are getting cheap power with weight penalty.
Sindlinger Tornado concept.jpg

Last edited:

flitzerpilot

Absolutely right, Matt. That was why I mentioned the historical proposal for a heavy engine, such as a Gipsy Queen and a lightweight rear fuselage for a projected Typhoon replica. Even so, another long term idea for an Alvis Leonides powered Fw190 replica needed a magnesium tailgroup to balance for a full-size replica.

Correction to my picture of the Hurricane ll earlier; it wasn't a Mk.ll C with 30 mm cannons, it was a Mk. lll D with 40 mm cannons! Much more the tank killer.