Future of aviation.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Speedboat100

I find this Scaled 401 cool:

Strange isn't always cool:

How soon will we be flying at least 20% of all flight on electricity....any guesses ?

Pipistrel seem s to lead the way there.

When will the solar assisted planes be around ?

dog

Vacume Balloons
https://www.o-boot.com/en/
skip the wings entirely.
while this particular site borders on record teritory for pure internet fluff,the idea is founded on fact.
Though no one has managed to make large scale
amounts of the materiels required, very small scale samples do in fact display much more than the required strength,namely pure iron,which is the most difficult and therfore most expensive element
to produce as iron combines redily with everything
else,studying it in a pure state is very very difficult.
Turns out that iron (plus many others)is over 7000 times stronger when there are no "defects" or impurities,making vacume balloons possible.
Much of the work on superconducting is focusing
on manipulating the locations of "defects" in crytaline structures that create "stress" which in turn leads to supperconduction.
The ability to manipulate matter in deffinite and predictable ways is getting much better, and is already having an effect,graphine,carbon nano,etc.

dog

This idea isnt viable for passengers,as the further from the center line the much greater the distance passengers go through in a bank like the one in the picture,bad elivator ride,thrill seakers yes,ma and pa kettle,nooooo.
And as for frieght,the rusian "electroplan" has better potential alround.
The "wing pusher rocket thing" in the first video is cool though.

Speedboat100

This idea isnt viable for passengers,as the further from the center line the much greater the distance passengers go through in a bank like the one in the picture,bad elivator ride,thrill seakers yes,ma and pa kettle,nooooo.
And as for frieght,the rusian "electroplan" has better potential alround.
The "wing pusher rocket thing" in the first video is cool though.

Do you mean russian ekranoplan ?

henryk

ICAO view on the subject
=PROPELLER Thrusters (even amplified by WINGS L/D>>1 )
cant be the future of aviation=to LOW Specific Thrust,
to many energy (and power) for personal and mass transport...

Only oscillating (flapping) thrusters can radically change this sytuation !

trimtab

I'm less interested in the future of commercial aviation and more interested in the future of general aviation.

- Manufacturing methods could use a breakthrough or three. Processes that scale favorably for economical low volume and low skill production are the goal.

- Low volume ICE aeropropulsion is dead/too costly to allow the segment to grow. Electric aeropropulsion offers more possibilities. Less complex, more reliable, and economies of scale will more likely be able to diffuse down into the GA weeds.

- Leaving traditional large, expensive airports behind is a real possibility. VTOL would allow faster growth than continuing to be tied to the same infrastructure that drags on growth now.

If these things don't happen, GA and EX-AB will continue to die out.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I agree that electric or ICE-electric hybrid propulsion is likely to become the standard for new light aircraft in the coming decades.

I am not worried about quadcopters and the like in the long run, they will go through some teething troubles (just like early gyroplanes did) and eventually develop into relatively safe, proven technology that will just be another subset of light aviation.

I fear that traditional wood construction may become exorbitantly expensive as aircraft-grade lumber becomes harder to find. I don't know about composite construction and petroleum supplies, but I suspect we will see some move toward natural fibers and organic resins for sustainability.

There are folks in this group that bemoan millenial culture and the loss of old-fashioned shade tree mechanic skills. Personally, I see quite a bit of DIY enthusiasm among young people and I suspect that the accessibility of makerspaces and home CNC and 3D printing will surprise us.

Aerowerx

Airbus is bringing revolutional blended wing passenger plane into the market.
Where does the article say that? When I read it, it says they are "proposing", which is a far cry from being "into the market".

Besides, the idea is nothing new. Boeing has been thinking about it for at least 17 years now, as stated in this Wikipedia article:
A concept photo of a blended wing body commercial aircraft appeared in the November 2003 issue of Popular Science magazine.
20% fuel savings.
From the same Wikipedia article..
Increased fuel efficiency – 10.9% better than a conventional widebody

dog

I'm less interested in the future of commercial aviation and more interested in the future of general aviation.

- Manufacturing methods could use a breakthrough or three. Processes that scale favorably for economical low volume and low skill production are the goal.

- Low volume ICE aeropropulsion is dead/too costly to allow the segment to grow. Electric aeropropulsion offers more possibilities. Less complex, more reliable, and economies of scale will more likely be able to diffuse down into the GA weeds.

- Leaving traditional large, expensive airports behind is a real possibility. VTOL would allow faster growth than continuing to be tied to the same infrastructure that drags on growth now.

If these things don't happen, GA and EX-AB will continue to die out.
While I do agree in principal and in the possible scenario you have posited,there are other possible scenarios where ICE gets a new lease.Namely a material science breakthrough(might have happened) that yields an ICE that can handle much higher temperature and pressure and is therefor much more fuel efficient.
The newest ceramic and glass technolgy stems from an observation about clams.Clam shells are made out of calcium carbonate, and clam shells happen to be many many times stronger than they have any right to be, the shells are composed of many layers and when put under stress,these layers shift a tiny bit.When this layering is aplied to ceramics, the result is a materiel that can deform without breaking,like metals.
So it is a race between the battery builders and the high temp / high strength ceramics, with super conducting still in the race.Fusion is still floundering.The quantum crew is throwing wild cards that could change everything.
Very interesting times,lots of very good work bieng done in all fields.
But yes ICE teck needs a big boost soon or public perception will drag it under.

dog

-yes,but NO revolution new principles.only fewe percents better !
No not a revolution,perhaps something more powerfull.
Are you keeping a watch on how the investigation of quantum effects is maturing?
The most interesting part of all that is a new way of talking about quantum phenominon,easier and more fluid language that goes with the ability to manipulate and image matter and energy at the scale of single electrons.
Many first rate minds thinking on this,working on this and building things with it too.

trimtab

there are other possible scenarios where ICE gets a new lease.Namely a material science breakthrough(might have happened) that yields an ICE that can handle much higher temperature and pressure and is therefor much more fuel efficient.
I've been reading about these advancements, always right around the corner, for easily 40 years.

They have failed to be reduced to practice at all, or have proven too expensive, or were vaporware. On an experimental basis, however, I see decades of fun and games for hobbyists in wringing performance out of commodity heat engines.

Commodity ICE's are advancing in ways that will never be introduced to aeropropulsion. The volume, costs, and regulatory environment are insurmountable without truly different technology. Electric may fit that bill in my opinion.

Aerowerx

What I am waiting for is some kind of gravity warp field propulsion. Runs on a miniature fusion reactor.:)

Group Builder