• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

fuselage shape, vertical tail size vs spin behavior

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantR

I read this Nasa technical document on wind tunnel test done on model airplanes to determine the effects of fuselage shape has on spin behavior. GENERAL STUDY OF LIGHT PLANE SPIN, AFT FUSELAGE GEOMETRY, PART 1 : BEAURAIN, L : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive From what I gathered it seems a rounded top fuselage with a flat bottom seems to create strong pro spin moments that easily let the spin go flat and make them harder to recover from while a flat top rounded bottom fuselage shows the strongest anti spin characteristics. In some of the test the plane would not spin with this shape. It also showed a larger vertical tail creating more pro spin forces rather than anti spin. I would have expected a larger vertical would aid in recovering vs making it harder too. Why do these two shapes create such different outcomes? I guess a round fuselage would be more or less neutral.

Back