Furry Friends

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Rockiedog2, Apr 30, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 30, 2017 #1

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I like animals. I used to kill and eat a lot of em...some sort of cave man thing but got over that. So I've been seeing this gray and white wild cattum around here for a while and left him some of Rockie's(RIP my friend) left over food in a frying pan out on the front porch of my mansion here in the hangar. It disappeared pretty quick so I put some more out. Wasn't long before it was all gone(about 10#) so went to Dollar General and got 20# more. That was gettin eaten up quick too and there were signs of some sort of skirmish having gone on so I put a game camera on the post by the frying pan. Turned out I got 2 wild cattums, a wild shepherd that runs my deer off, a possum, and 3 coons I been feedin. No wonder it was gettin eaten up so fast. Well, I fed em about 50# and all the leftovers than decided they're on their own again. Too much...and I know they were gonna bring their friends along

IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0273.jpg IMG_0289.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0617.jpg IMG_0105.jpg

I saw a black bear on the end of the strip in I think it was 93. He turned the garbage can over and clawed one on my trees.
    You guys got any good animal stuff you wanta post go ahead. Or anything else for that matter
    you guys like COPS? my favorite show. and LOCKUP.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Apr 30, 2017 #2

Propman

Propman

Propman

Had some unwanted critters last fall, almost got into the runway PTDC0294.jpg

3. Apr 30, 2017 #3

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I'm surrounded by em but none here yet. I'm thinking claymores and tripwires

4. Apr 30, 2017 #4

Propman

Propman

Propman

Well, i have a couple cannons, but the darn things only come out at night. Guess my neighbors will understand, this could get interesting IMG_5831.jpg

akwrencher likes this.
  5. Apr 30, 2017 #5

lr27

lr27

lr27

I once left my attached garage door open for a little while when I wasn't looking. I kept hearing noises in the basement. When I went down to look, the noises were in the ceiling, and then suddenly a panel let go and an opossum dropped out of the suspended ceiling! I don't know which of us were more surprised. I went after him, but with some reluctance because I didn't know what to do when I caught him. I also didn't know just how slow they are. Anyway, I eventually caught him in a cage trap and let him out in the back yard. Their claws look kind of like mechanical hands. A bit spooky.
    ---
    Then there was the time 13 small pigs escaped the neighbor's farm and started to rip up our lawn on Thanksgiving, when I was 18 or 20. Our dog, half German Shepherd and half Irish Wolfhound, wasn't enough to scare them away. They clustered together and faced him, maintaining very good discipline. Eventually, three of us plus the dog and a lot of noise making drove them off. But not very fast.
    ---
    I remember one morning at 5 AM, a guest's yappy little dog took exception to a strange acting raccoon up on our deck. My dad swept it off with a broom, but despite the 10 foot fall, it disappeared by morning. It must have been quite sick, because it was very slow. More recently, another very sick raccoon would try to follow me around, though it couldn't stand for very long without falling over. A policeman came over and shot it. I didn't see it, but I wonder why it took two shots with a shotgun? This time it was in a moderately crowded residential neighborhood.
    --------
    We used to have a little pack of coyotes around here before they blasted away the other side of the hill and built a shopping center. The nighttime performances were much higher pitched than wolves'. I thought we had a puppy mill in the neighborhood at first. I once saw a coyote go by, tracked a minute later by an excited dog. What did the dog expect when he caught up? I know which way I'd have bet.

That's probably enough stories for now.

--------
    Propman,
    What kind of critters are those?

6. Apr 30, 2017 #6

lr27

lr27

lr27

P.S. There was a fisher cat in a neighborhood I lived in for a while. Sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder. Spooky. Never saw it.

7. Apr 30, 2017 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

Raccoons and opossums always ruin the party. No free meals at my house. No food outside; cant afford it. My golden eats better than me because she has allergies. She eats $60 a bag food and the other dog gets the regular stuff and she holds a grudge. I figured the best animal to have around would be Capybaras. Having a 150 lb gopher in your yard would scare away just about any animal or person; perfect for piece and quiet.

MikePousson likes this.
  8. Apr 30, 2017 #8

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

There's an open season on these things here in Ohio.

Looked out the back window once, many years ago. Didn't look like any dog breed I was familiar with, and too big to be a coyote. Read in the paper a couple weeks later that the police had shot a wolf-dog clear on the other side of town (about 4 miles away). Turns out that someone near me was breading the things and some of them got loose.

9. Apr 30, 2017 #9

lr27

lr27

lr27

Even coyotes can get pretty large after a while if there are no wolves to compete with them.

10. Apr 30, 2017 #10

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

No pictures here, but a flock of wild turkeys were tearing up my garden a few years ago and another instance of working in the same garden, a doe jumped the fence, walked by me, dropped a few pellets, sneered at me and went on to the next yard. Last May, a mama black bear and her two cubs set up across the fence in my neighbors yard. The wildlife folks asked us to all stay indoors so they wouldn't have to do anything drastic. They finally sauntered off. An occasional moose looking for love comes thru occasionally. And I'm in the middle of a small village. The great white north.....

11. Apr 30, 2017 #11

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

We got redtail hawks, turkeys, deer, coyote, and skunk passing through on a regular basis. Seen them or their tracks and the skunks grub diggings. Pocket gophers are residents, not sure what I can do about them, they are a nuisance in the mown areas. Gotta be some possum and raccoon, but not seen them. There are stories of feral pigs in Michigan, but we have not seen them around this part of the state yet.

12. Apr 30, 2017 #12

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

get Blue Heeler Bill. Way back, my wife had a problem with armadillos in her flower beds and the vet said get a Heeler. It wasn't long after she got one that she didn't have any more armadillos. Or squirrels, mice, snakes, coons, possums, rats, skunks, lizards, cats, birds. He got everything. She saw him jump and catch a low flying bird one day. She sold the house to one of the local docs and moved a mile east. Short run thru the woods for a heeler. The doc called her several times to come get the heeler cause he couldn't get outa his car. The breeder she got him from came home one day and all her heelers had gotten outa the pen. They were sittin around the UPS truck and the driver was on top. Been there all afternoon, treed. LOL.
    Heelers are bad dudes.

13. Apr 30, 2017 #13

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

I don't live in the country -- I live near Tweed-New Haven Airport -- and haven't had any creatures with fewer than six legs wander into my house (except my personal creature, who has four), but I do have neighbors and friends who have had visits by bats, assorted rodents, and was, alas, camera-free when a family of four raccoons popped their heads up out of my trash can.

My neighborhood has deer, foxes, coyotes, raccoons (where don't they live in North America?), skunks, possums, squirrels, flying squirrels (oddly, no chipmunks), a fairly large variety of birds, including egrets (their range is moving north), great blue herons (which are HUGE), eagles, ospreys, a resident population of house wrens, etc. Somebody spotted a black bear (I'm rather hoping they were confused and it was a newfie). Our population of crows has dropped, though, and the water near my house is too salty for many frogs, although we do have tree frogs, which I should start hearing any day now.

I'm old enough to remember just about no large birds in Connecticut -- DDT.

14. Apr 30, 2017 #14

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

from swampyankee
    >>>great blue herons (which are HUGE),

lotsa those on the river here. gotta watch for em on PuttPutt's favorite run. They get up in front of the plane and are climbing out...I learned not to go under em but to go around. Only took one time; a huge wad of white poop nearly took us down all over the side of the w/s, the wing root and the PIC right side.

15. Apr 30, 2017 #15

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Completely forgot about this one, but saw one when I was out mowing.

A couple of decades ago they introduced some Peregrine Falcons to the tall buildings in downtown Columbus, a distance of about 45 miles from here. Every so often in the spring and summer I spot them in our back yard.

Why are they attracted to our backyard? I should mention that one of the neighbors raises pigeons. Can you say "Fast Food"?:roll:

16. Apr 30, 2017 #16

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Forty-five miles? Maybe destination dining.

17. May 1, 2017 #17

Pops

Pops

Pops

Where I live we have too many deer, along with wild turkeys, coyotes, bear, bob cats, and a few mountain lions. There is a hollow about 5 miles long and very hard to get to about 4 miles from my house. Lots of bears there. The mountain lions will hunt dogs, they seem to really like dog meat.

On the ridge were I grew up with my Grandfather (1876-1959), it was 7 miles from the nearest road through woods. When I was about 12-13 years old, I walked the 2-3 miles to a neighbor who had a boy my age. I stayed to late, got pitch black dark with no star light. Couldn't see the ground in front of you. I tried to walk using my memory of the terrain going through the woods home. About 1/2 way a bob cat started following me very close, I could hear his steps in the leaves on the ground behind me and every few minutes he would stop and scream. They sound like someone is torchering a woman with a high pitch scream. I was so scared I wanted to run, but I was in woods and couldn't see my hands in front of my face and was afraid of running into a tree. Open or close your eyes, no difference. He followed me all the way home. There were bob cats that weighed up to 40 lbs in the area. I will never forget that night.

Rockiedog2 likes this.
  18. May 1, 2017 #18

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

20161225_080124.jpg Last Christmas we were robbed by an outlaw gang (there are three bandits in the photo, two of them are hard to see)

20170213_165108.jpg 20160909_151218.jpg 20170213_165249.jpg Mugshots of the three suspects: the blue-eyed one is the criminal master mind, the other two are just patsies that take the heat for her scams.

Twodeaddogs likes this.
  19. May 1, 2017 #19

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Whenever I see feline QC in a build photo, my estimation of the builder always goes up. I'm in a city right now. There are chipmunks and a ground hog in the yard, but best of all, near constant mockingbird song. :)

20. May 1, 2017 #20

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

My place is on the edge of a huge wild river bottom area with all the critters. Lotsa coyotes which are a problem at times but the worse thing I got right now is a pack of wild dogs. They aggressively kill the young deer and run them constantly. They're as wary and hard to kill as a coyote and they'e aggressive to us humans. I got a trail I walk most mornings that follows the perimeter of the 50 acres. The backside is pretty wild and they hang around there from time to time...I never go anywhere on this place unarmed. Or anywhere else for that matter.
    I was out for a ride in ol PuttPutt several years ago. Wandered over in the delta about 10 or 12 miles...desolate farmland most areas over there. I was flying down a gravel driveway about 75 feet high and thought I noticed a large cat lying in the deep weeds so circled back and flew right over him. Yep, it was what I call a mountain lion(probably like Pops talked about)...tan with a dark nose and tail that got darker further back toward the end. Lying there relaxing, keeping flies off with his tail; he didn't even look up and I was <100 ft high. Didn't even look up. I'd say his body was about 3.5 feet long and his tail about that but he was lying on his side curled a little so hard to say. Hesitatingly, I told one of the locals over that way about it. He was an avid hunter and lived in the woods...I expected ridicule. Naw he listened quietly then said yeh I saw a mama and a kitten(cub?) less than a mile from there several years ago. We got em around here, sure do.