• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fullscale Fw-190, where to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangar 6

Having grown up in an aviation family, and reading all the books on warbirds and classics has made me want to own a fighter. Sophmore year of highschool I decided I'd like to build one from scratch that I can start when I'm young and finish when I'm 40-50ish, which I know is a huge undertaking. It took me awhile to decide on an aircraft, a P-51 was the first choice until I learned about the cost and operational life of the Merlin and other V-12s, so I turned to the radial fighters. The Fw-190 seemed to fit what I wanted. Its a fighter, around the same dimensions of a T-6, and can use the ASh-82, which would be relatively cheap to operate in the warbird world (yes I know its still not cheap, plus I have to factor in insurance, etc.). Through out highschool I've been involved in numerous projects with airplanes and cars so I understand this plane won't build itself, and that it takes perseverance and lots of effort, blood, tears, and curse words. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. However I'm having trouble determining where would be best to start, as far as the actual building goes. I've already been doing quite a bit of research. I thought maybe purchasing these "plans" (FW 190 Blueprints TA152 FW 190 Aircraft Plans Focke Wulf 190 | eBay) and making 3D CAD models to send off to have CNC'd. I know these "plans" are incomplete, and are all in german which will require translation. Anyways all help is appreciated, feel free to try and talk me out of it and give me all the facts about how it can't be done.

Back