Fullscale Fw-190, where to start

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by Hangar 6, Jul 30, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 1, 2016 #41

AVI

AVI

AVI

Good. Good luck, and don't look back. If you're willing to let the project consume your life, you might just succeed!
    Don't forget to check out the construction of a WW2 Hawker Typhoon at the Typhoon Legacy website. They're building the
    old fashioned way .. And Arthur Bentley .. not only is he an extraordinarily talented draftsman, he's an expert on 190s.
    You'll find encouragement in that you'll quickly discover that there are other talented individuals who are scratch
    building real warbirds.
    I'd also recommend joining, if you haven't already, the forum at Key Publications UK, their Historic Aviation forum.
    One of the guys you might want to get to know is a guy Downunder whose goes by "Old Spitty." He's got amazing
    experience working with metal on a Spitfire. Meier Motors is also a regular contributor.

Battler Britton likes this.
  2. Aug 1, 2016 #42

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Just for curiosity, what are you going to use for an engine?

3. Aug 2, 2016 #43

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Thank you AVI I'll go check out that forum and look into that typhoon project.

I'm planning on an ASh-82 right now because its been done in quite a few flugwerks, and it seems that owners have been able to get most of the glitches ironed out.

4. Aug 2, 2016 #44

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

You might want to wait til I've finished my build to get some ideas for cheap fast building.

Happy to share the info when it's all finalised, prob the end of the year. Being done with scalability in mind.

5. Aug 2, 2016 #45

AVI

AVI

AVI

Piecing Together a Fw190 in Germany

Haven't read this issue yet, but the cover promotes: "'Butcher Bird' Restoration, Piecing together an Fw190 in Germany."
    Should be interesting reading for Hangar 6 ...

Attached Files:

cheapracer likes this.
  6. Aug 2, 2016 #46

larr

larr

larr

The Jurca MJ-80 is a full scale replica (the MJ-8 is 75%). The plans are still available.

"Two seater tandem all wood aircraft, low wing,
    aerobatic capable need advanced to building skills, Focke Wulf 190 3/4 or 1/1 scale replica.
    Unique longeron trapezoidal wing, evolutive ribs.
    Retractable landing gear.
    Integral bubble canopy.
    These Jurca plans are only available from the Marcel Jurca Committee in France, and for skilled builders.
    No kit provided."

You should give this serious consideration unless you have a lot of money and a lot of time.

Battler Britton likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2016 #47

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Replicating it in metal and correctly... 25,000-50,000 man-hours?

In composites probably more in the 10,000-20,000 man-hour range.

Lookup Tony's 75% Corsair project to get a good grasp for how to approach this.

Modern cnc makes plug building orders of magnitude simpler.

With the many flat-wrapped panels, building molds would be very straight-forward.

AVI likes this.
  8. Aug 3, 2016 #48

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

That's very much determined on the level of "replicating" that the OP has indicated external visuals and cockpit only.

"Tony's" ...
    The Corsair82 - F4U-1A Corsair Homebuilt Aircraft Kit

9. Aug 3, 2016 #49

AVI

AVI

AVI

A scaled down model such as Tony's would require compromises in scale ... for example, the wing on the Corsair82 is not 82% scale.
    Hangar 6 seems to be planning a 20-30 year build - might as well go full scale.
    Also, doesn't the Jurca MJ-80 have a metal tube frame?

10. Aug 3, 2016 #50

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

no, only wood for the FW 190, as I can remember!
    steel /glass for the 2/3, and 3/4 scale mustang alongside wood version. donot know for the full scale mustang.

WOOD can be an excellent option, (quite) easy, good smell, super strong still exist and flying! no size compromises.. Possible DC 3 engine

11. Aug 4, 2016 #51

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

I'll probably still be doing research by then. Just let me know when you get it finished.

Avi- I've been over at fly pasts forum drooling over the meier motors progress thread.

I'm attempting to download Autodesk Inventor tonight, I might start by drawing all the pieces for the Revi 16 B gunsight.

AVI likes this.
  12. Aug 22, 2016 #52

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

That's a lifetime time commitment.

Some other reality checks are the project will require a huge financial investment. The end product could be very difficult to fly. Finding someone proficient enough to fly the plane could be a challenge and any attempts to fly could be quite risky as it may be impossible to insure. Would have to be ready to accept a total loss and walk away. To test suitability for that type risk, get in a car, light $100 bills on fire as fast as possible and and toss them out the window as you ride down the interstate. If you can complete 100 mites of doing that without regret, you may be suited to this type project.

http://weaponsman.com/?p=18511

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  13. Aug 31, 2016 #53

Paul Stalenberg

Paul Stalenberg

Paul Stalenberg

Hi Focke wulf enthusiasts!
    Would be a great project for sure!
    Some time ago I made a blister for a fw 190A9 maybe interesting for you guys how you could make one.
    Needs a little bit practice perhaps but if I can do it you can also do it.
    Greetings Paul

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A very good friend from Germany made this model intended for the use of the 190 that is under restoration in Berlin at this moment.
    In this case for me the model to work from.
    [​IMG]
    With a sand bag and a mallet im roughly bring in the shape an check it by templates how much and where to bring te shape in.
    When I came close to the desired shape I started wheeling out the walnuts on the English wheel.
    And inbetween the wheeling also check,check,check the shape with the templates wich I made from the model.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here the parts welded together.
    [​IMG]
    Here the metal finish stage to take the last dents from hammerwork out and release shrinkage in the welds.
    [​IMG]
    Here the results of the metal finish (and a fewww hours of patience!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But you can also press them or make them from polyester!

Greetings Paul

https://youtu.be/Tf-D7k2ePa0

14. Aug 31, 2016 #54

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

My goodness ! WOW !

15. Nov 16, 2016 #55

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

Hangar 6

That is amazing work right there, I hope to obtain that level of craftsmanship someday. This Fall has been my first semester of college and I was really overwhelmed with it and work, but now things are starting to slow down. However I have had a lot of time to think this project over and now I sit on the fence. I would love to do it, but perhaps I should tackle another project I have first as a learning experience. While I have done some work on airplanes, I haven't restored a plane from the ground up. I'm thinking the best place to start will be with a Great Lakes that has been in our family for quite some time. The wing ribs are metal and I will need to make a set of wings, and I will need to create my own cowling for the engine of choice. So this will give me a good idea of what I'm really wanting to do. Thanks everyone here for the support and great ideas!

Paul Stalenberg likes this.
  16. Nov 16, 2016 #56

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Paul.

Is that 6061 or something else? Did you start with "O" condition?

Thanks.

Terry

17. Nov 16, 2016 #57

Paul Stalenberg

Paul Stalenberg

Paul Stalenberg

Hi Terry
    This part I have made out of 3003h14 wich is easy to form and is flame anealable.
    I could make it out of 6061 in 0 condition but it would not be my choice because anealing with the flame is not allowed here.
    But if you have a company around to treat it if needed you can use it.
    This because in between the shaping process sometimes you need to make a certain spot soft .
    However the Focke wulf in Berlin will be a static model so it doesn't matter very much to use a softer alloy.
    I hope this answers your question.

Greetings Paul

TerryM76 likes this.
  18. Nov 16, 2016 #58

Marc Bourget

Marc Bourget

Marc Bourget

Caveat, I'm a little pressed for time so I only reviewed the first page of posts but I think the following bears repeating - if it was mentioned.

Hangar 6 asked: "[snip] However I'm having trouble determining where would be best to start, as far as the actual building goes.

Aside from choice of plans, As far as actual building goes, I suggest while you're reviewing the plans (which I would do sheet by sheet) you develop a "process tree."

Work down from the full assembly drawing, to the major assemblies, to the intermediate assemblies down to single parts. Otherwise, you can easily get lost in the details.

FWIW

mjb

19. Nov 16, 2016 #59

Marc Bourget

Marc Bourget

Marc Bourget

Second point, Paul Stalenberg is known to me from Allmetalshaping.com. In addition to Paul, there's a member that works in a "warbird" Museum in Australia. His posts show many fixtures and tooling that were used to make these aircraft. You might be well served to visit his threads. Sorry, his name escapes me at this time - but don't miss the opportunity.

mjb

20. Nov 17, 2016 #60

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

cvairwerks

Ashley Briggs is probably who you are thinking of. I'm not sure I spelled his name correctly.

Hangar: I'd suggest that you find a simple metal part, learn to make the pattern and form for it and then bash away using some dead soft cheap aluminum alloy. After you get a little idea on how to make the metal move and not fail, switch to the propper alloy and go after it. There will still be a learning curve and more wrecked parts, but fewer than if you start with the harder alloys.

Also, go on youtube and check out Peter Tommasini. He and his partner do wonderous work with simple hand tools as well as machines. Might take a few runs thru the videos to get where you can fully understand that Aussie accent tho.