Full Size Pictures Slows Loading Thread

Discussion in 'HBA Help, Feedback & Suggestions' started by proppastie, Jun 18, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 18, 2019 #1

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

The new software allows the mounting of a "Thumbnail" or "Full Size Picture" . I find the threads with lots of pictures mounted full size take very long to load.....and I have Fios a very fast connection. I can not imagine how someone with a slower connection manages this......There should be a software switch that allows the receiving party to change these full size pictures to thumbnail size. Something like "load all pictures as thumbnails"

mcrae0104 and pictsidhe like this.
  2. Jun 18, 2019 #2

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

+1, It's horribly tedious on my phone at work. I can read the whole page and the pics still won't have loaded.

Perhaps a default image compression feature would help with page loading speed and server requirements. Many if not most pics are at far higher quality than required.

3. Jun 18, 2019 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Thanks this is good to know. I'm sure I'm an offender and will go to thumbnails for anything big from now on. But is there a potential that your connection is being throttled in some way? I have a DSL line and even image-intensive pages load very rapidly--if they aren't the first post, then they are fully built before I can scroll down to them.

4. Jun 18, 2019 #4

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Not everyone has a super fast connection. Those of us with slow connections like I sometimes do see no images when they are too big. Most full size web images load slowly, but HBA ones usually not at all.

I've just been trying to load an image in another thread. After 10 minutes and multiple attempts, no image.

Edit, it's 3.4MB image, no wonder it keeps timing out. I doubt that it would look any different at 1/10th that size.

5. Jun 18, 2019 #5

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

perhaps...maybe its supply/demand band width ....or HBA already did something...I just loaded the most offending thread at 9:31 AM EST and the pictures popped right up.

6. Jun 18, 2019 #6

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Were there new pictures, as well? The old ones had probably been cached on your computer and would thus come up quickly.

Ron Wanttaja

proppastie likes this.
  7. Jun 18, 2019 #7

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

On the old server, animated GIFs from a certain member played hell with my viewing. On the new one, still pictures do that.
    It's a photo file size issue. They are now enormous. Look at them! Last nights check was 3.4MB for a photo of a piece of page of paper. Those with fast connections are fine. Those with a slow connection don't get to see pictures anymore. "It's fine on my DSL" doesn't help those of us who are not. there is no DSL or other broadbrand where I usually access HBA.

Just tried images on a thread, still no load, so it isn't fixed.

proppastie likes this.
  8. Jun 18, 2019 #8

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Well maybe the mods are looking at this......??????

9. Jun 18, 2019 #9

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Yes, a receiver-initiated restriction on images/large downloads is probably the best answer. It might also be helpful for those uploading images to be made aware of the issue so they can choose to select "thumbnails" instead (and maybe take a load off the board's server), but that will be a constant uphill struggle as new people join, forget to minimize, etc. Hopefully we won't get a low cap on the size of attachments--just as not everyone has a fast connection, not everyone is using a phone (at work:) ) to view images and downloading (via a cell connection?).

10. Jun 18, 2019 #10

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I was wondering about this. I have no problems downloading the large files &(70 to 80 Mbps is normal) but I will now try to remember to reduce the file size for my posts - unless the detail is relevant - which is maybe 5% of the time?

11. Jun 18, 2019 #11

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Does the system automatically downsize resolution here or leave them as native size and res? Good practice any time and especially on websites, is not to post 4000 X 3000 pixel images at full res. Here you don't need anything more than 800 to 1000 pixels wide and maybe 250-300Kb file size. Just makes it faster and easier for everyone. Folks should learn how to use a photo editor if they don't know how to already.

pictsidhe likes this.
  12. Jun 18, 2019 #12

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Huge files should be opt-in, for when we actually do want the full resolution. Most of the time, we could still compress those large images and end up with smaller files than are currently being uploaded.

13. Jun 19, 2019 #13

admin

admin

admin

Administrator Staff Member

I am not able to make it where members can change the thumbnail or full size in a post. I have put a limit on the photo size that shows. Please take a look and see if that size works well for you.

14. Jun 19, 2019 #14

admin

admin

admin

The system was allowing the photo size. I have put a limit on the size that shows. Please let me know if it is a good size for you. It is set for 800 x 600.

15. Jun 19, 2019 #15

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

800 X 600 is what I generally use on my website too.

admin likes this.
  16. Jun 19, 2019 #16

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Hmmm. The picture in this post is over 1500 x 2500 pixels, but the file size isn't too crazy (417 kb). Maybe 800 x 600 will be fine. All of the screen grabs I've done have come out smaller than that.

17. Jun 20, 2019 #17

admin

admin

admin

Is everything going better with the images now?