Full scale Pitcheron control Sailplane.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

paraplane

Engineering challenge's abound obviously. An Aerobatic specific ship that would use A.O.A. control of entire wing section if successfully built, would such a craft have definitive advantage in acrobatic manuvers over the Swift or Fox (meaning a more historically standard control configuration)?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but to make the wingeron system work you will have a heavy tubular spar which is not as structurally efficient as an I beam or C channel. So for that reason alone (even if you solve all the other bending load issues and other wonky loads) you will have a heavier sailplane and pay whatever price for that extra weight.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Interactions between wing flex and effective hinge moment per unit Cl (among many other issues) would make that solution very troublesome for a full size sailplane. Full span flaperons with lots of chord (and commensurate mass balance) is likely a more effective way to spend $100k to win a $10 trophy.

patrickrio

Silent Glider retractable tri gear is interesting. Any design info on that or something very comparable?

Bille Floyd

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but to make the wingeron system work you will have a heavy tubular spar which is not as structurally efficient as an I beam or C channel. So for that reason alone (even if you solve all the other bending load issues and other wonky loads) you will have a heavier sailplane and pay whatever price for that extra weight.
Yea BUT :
I flew a few , wingeron 2m RC gliders ; if someone could figure out
a way to do Just the pitch, ( pitcheron) using stock ailerons ; Wow , what
a fricken awesome ship, they would have !!!!!! ... ...

Think about it :
to change the AOA of most aircraft , the tail elevator pushes the
entire fuse up or down ; all that mass moment of inertia, must move
BEFORE the AOA of the main wing changes .

Bille

raumzeit

That's cool link. I had thought of bolting a Silent pod onto a Swift, but apparently someone else has done so. They show in the video the Swift-Silent pace on by the ATOS VX-Silent a couple times. I wonder which would win a gliding "race" - that Swift-Silent or a Silent Pod on a ATOS VR190 (fastest ATOS wing with beefed-up spar for trikes).

Lukas Etz

The second wing of the video is called "impact". That is a rigid hangglider build in a small number in nothern Germany.

Flivverflyer

Silent glider is cool, but I just keep thinking: How'd you like to taxi that thing around on a windy day..... Anything over 5kts and I'd be keeping it in my (oversized) hangar.

Aesquire

Aesquire

There was an ATOS specific version that used a single slot in the top of the canopy to pass through the control "bar/yoke" sealed with a rubber gasket.

Pitch control was by weight shift, with roll by a wheel on the end of the single control bar coming down into the cockpit from above. Or an upside down WW2 Bomber yoke. ;)

If you've learned weight shift control with hang gliders or trikes, and consider yourself as the "stick", you shouldn't have issues with the unconventional controls. Ymmv.

unfortunately the web site is gone, so I regret not buying one when available. I have a list. :)