• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Full scale Graham Lee Nieuport 17 meets it's fate (no injuries) on first flight :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FritzW

Other than a healthy wack on the arm, some Mesquite thorns in his scalp and a broken heart, the pilot/builder wasn't injured.

20180508_095815_001_resized.jpg 20180508_103700_resized.jpg

This airplane was in the background of several pictures I've posted about our chapter Waiex build. As far as I know, this was one of only two full size Graham Lee N-17's that have been built, ...and a beautiful airplane :depressed

n17 a.jpg The artwork alone makes this a real bummer.

n17 b.jpg He lost directional control on his maiden takeoff and tried to save it (I ain't gonna second guess that decision, he was the only one in the cockpit)

n17 c.jpg I thought the shadow of my little drone on the wheel was pretty cool...

It was interesting to see the failure modes of tube and gusset construction. The parts that failed, failed slowly (rivet by rivet) kind of like crush zones in a modern car. It was impressive.

The airplane was damaged beyond economical repair but will probably live on as a static display at the War Eagles Museum.

Back