Fuel Trailers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hawk81A

Many states have laws about what containers you can (legally) pump fuel into. Many gas stations will not allow it either (the poor stiff who ran out of gas and wants to fill an empty milk jug). I definitely agree with the advice against one or more blue 55 gallon barrels.
On Stabil - be advised that Stabil itself only has a one year shelf life. I personally have found that NON ethanol gasoline has a better longevity than ethanol. Dennis

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Contaminated fuel possibility not to be ignored. I had it from a Chevron fuel truck in wing tanks of Taylorcraft. Did not know until transfer to main tank and a little later it became real quiet but not relaxing.
There are very inexpensive fuel filters that you can buy one type absorbs the water the other type stops the flow.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
Apparently Harbor Freight Jerry Cans are quite good. I'm thinking of mounting TWO on racks on a hitch ball mount, to keep Mogas out of the back of my HHR. I'm perplexed why you can't buy such a thing, but it should be pretty easy to fabricate.

Leaded AvGas is going away, but a true drop in fuel 100 octane fuel is going to cost the earth, according to my spies that run airports and FBOs. The AvGas/Mogas cost ratio is going to get a lot wider. In the meantime, the advantages in engine cleanliness have convinced me UL is better. I'll keep some Decalin for cross countries until the conversion is complete nationwide.

Aerowerx

Many states have laws about what containers you can (legally) pump fuel into. Many gas stations will not allow it either (the poor stiff who ran out of gas and wants to fill an empty milk jug). I definitely agree with the advice against one or more blue 55 gallon barrels.
On Stabil - be advised that Stabil itself only has a one year shelf life. I personally have found that NON ethanol gasoline has a better longevity than ethanol. Dennis
Pretty much what I was going to say.

I have an aversion to unlabeled containers of any size--- 1 oz to 55 gallons. Whether or not it requires a placard it should be labeled. No label and it is a disaster waiting to happen. And your local fire marshal won't be too happy!

There are also certain colors designated for fuels containers. I have some 6 gallon containers with Red for gasoline, blue for kerosene, (and seen in stores) yellow for diesel.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Yeah I’ve always thought that was kind of stupid since it is the almost universal color code for the diesel fuel handle to be green.
Except for those slime balls from British petroleum ,I have to admit I was really looking forward to them going out of business over the gulf blowout.

galapoola

gascan.jpeg
Use a fore mentioned receiver carriers to keep gas smell outside of Jeep. These are 20 gallons, fresh gas each time you fly!

Stolch

Looks like gravity is the delivery mechanism for that container? Lift 120 pounds above the wing to dispense the fuel?

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Have used one. It has a manually operated pump in the grip.
Is it practical to pump the whole tank with that hand lever pump? I figured it was just intended to fill the line with gas to allow the rest to flow by gravity/siphon to a lower point. The pump reservoir looks pretty small. If it is 4 ounces (?my guess), that's 32 squeezes per gallon.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
My bet is that OSHA has never made a safety inspection where they didn’t find a container labeling non-compliance.

BJC
Many people see that as a knock against OSHA, but I think that kind of attention to detail is a strength. Unlabeled containers ARE an accident waiting to happen, and first responders ought to not have to deal with mystery chemical containers. I've been on the wrong end of that kind of finding after an inspection and was relieved to have the issue pointed out (embarrassed for my team too, but that's another story).

Aerowerx

... Unlabeled containers ARE an accident waiting to happen, and first responders ought to not have to deal with mystery chemical containers.....
An anecdote... I was working as an undergrad in a laboratory at Ohio State. One day I opened a cabinet to look for something. There was a mason jar (unlabeled) containing a blue-green liquid. I opened it and did a sniff test.

It was gasoline! There was a grad student also working there (should have known better). So I went and told him (and our boss). The grad student said he was using it as a cleaning solvent. I pointed out that he could get anything he wanted from the chemistry department (a lot safer and properly labeled).

Many containers look alike, so I have trained myself to always read the label, even if I KNOW what it is.

Another story. Took one of my dogs to the vet. As I was waiting in the exam room I noticed two plastic squirt bottles, with clear liquid. My mental alarm bell went off. When the vet came in I mentioned it to him as a hazard. One contained alcohol and I don't remember what the other was. The next time I was there I noticed both bottles had been labeled.

In my mind an unlabeled container is, by definition, empty!

For 15 gallons that lasted at least 3 twenty minute flight a week, it was a lot of effort to save $10. 100LL is less than $1 more than car gas here.
What about gas for aircraft with old engines, like the wee Continentals, LeBlonds, and Franklins? They were designed to burn the red stuff (80-87), not blue 100LL. Mogas, that hasn't been sabotaged with ethanol, is the best thing for them to now burn, and airports selling it are far and few between.