• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel line length - how to locate the last connection/flare?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saville

Ok so I'm a newbie to the rigid fuel line business. So I'm sure everyone knows the answer to this except me:

I'm connecting a fuel selector to an existing line that runs to the engine. The line will have a 90 degree bend under the selector then runs forward and has to precisely meet the existing line.

I've flared one end and made the 90 degree bend under the selector, so now the tricky part (to me) is to mark, cut and flare the other end so that it meets the existing male flare fitting with no stress - neither pushing or pulling. At this point the tubing is overly long.

I can mark where the tip of the male fitting is on the new tube. But that's not where I should cut it.

I could take about 3" or so of some tubing, measure it's length precisely, then flare one end and measure it again. This will tell me how much longer the cut has to be to accomodate the flare. But there's more to it than that, yes?

Any hints as to how to accurately cut the other end so that it meets the fitting exactly would be appreciated.

Thanks

Back