• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXFlyGuy

Large transport aircraft have provisions that allow a certain amount of fuel to leak, measured in drips per minute. When I was a Second Officer on the DC-10, I found fuel dripping from the engine nacelle area. When we contacted the mechanics, they pulled out the MEL and it stated that we were good to go with "X" drips per minute.

So now that my fuel tanks (6) are full of fuel, we have discovered a slow seepage from the left main tank. One drip each 15-20 seconds. It is seeping along a seam line on the inboard side of the wing (wet wing).

Is this an automatic grounding issue, completely unsafe to fly?

Or like in the case of the DC-10, are we good to go? My test pilot said it's not a no-go item.

Back