• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel dripping from air filter - Kawasaki 340

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith103

Hi , My Kawasaki 340 engine has about 15 hours on it. I noticed some fuel drips on the port outer side of the front fuselage directly beneath and behind the carburetor. I have seen this for quite a while, and tightened all fuel hoses on and around the carb, but the drip-leak continues.

Only very recently I figured that the air filter was damp and dripping fuel - not too alarmingly, but a few drops on each engine run / taxi run of about 15 to 20 minutes. Now that I know where to look, I notice that on shut down, the air filter is damp on the underside with fuel, and often a drop of fuel/ oil mix about to drip.

The engine has a 310 main jet. It came with a 330 main jet from J Bird, but because of the elevation here of 5200 ft, I decided to go lower size on main jet. Other than that the carb is all stock.

The clip is on middle slot out of five, but at this position I am getting CHT just right. It gets to about 350 at 6000 rpm steady ( max rpm is around 6300 to 6600 variable. CHT at max rpm is below 400)

I have a plunger primer which I squeeze about 3 times before cold start. There is a choke too, but I turn the choke off about a minute after start up. It has electric start.

The other day I goofed up and forgot to connect one spark plug wire after I changed the spark plugs, and kept cranking about 15 times before I realized the mistake. As I got down to connect the plug wire, I noticed a pool of fuel on the ground right beneath the air filter. So when it did not spark, the fuel was just gushing out; does that give any clue ?

The drip itself is not a big issue I feel, but if that indicates a bigger problem, then I would like to learn what that is.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Back