• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel and Oil Consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryancobb

To fly a 2-stroke in an aircraft reliably, the pilot needs to be on-top-of the fuel and oil consumption on every flight so that a problem can quickly be detected BEFORE the engine is damaged or you are unintentionally on the ground. I'm primarily talking to those with an oil injection pump and tank, but if you premix in the can, you should still know your exact fuel consumption per flight. You just won't have to track oil consumption separately.

I was trained in Army Flight School and keeping a flight logbook FOR THE MACHINE is nothing new to me. I suggest everyone do it...especially if the aircraft has a 2-stroke. Be tailed and specific. Have columns for flight time, fuel at preflight, fuel added, fuel at landing, oil (oz.) at preflight, oil added (oz.), oil at landing (oz.), CALCULATED fuel consumption rate, CALCULATED oil consumption rate, and PERFORMANCE EVALUATION COLUMNS (covered in the next thread).

If you don't ENJOY the sport of detailed record-keeping, you cannot expect reliability from your 2-stroke. You will just be rolling the dice and accepting that you will be taking the wings off one day at a remote location to get your plane back home. Personally, I'd rather FLY IT HOME and be able to add another flight to my stack of "I've never had a Rotax let-me-down" flights. Keeping great records gives you a memory aid to reminisce about remarkable things you have done and is down-right fun.

If I can find the scanned pages of the flight log for my first Mini-500 I flew in the late 90's, I'll post them here as an example.
I have to say, that grayhead 582 DID put me on the ground temporarily once, but it really wasn't the engine that did it. I had a plastic PVC coolant TEE that cracked in flight and all my liquid coolant sprayed out and I had to land, fix it, and continue my flight.

Attachments

• TANK CALIBRATE2.jpg
    TANK CALIBRATE2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 9
  • TANK CALIBRATE1.jpg
    TANK CALIBRATE1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
Back