• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

FRISE ailerons & flaps selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millor

Dear colleagues,

as some of you may know, I am currently building a RW19 Stork (STOL). Time has come to start with the wings and its ancillary components and because the construction plans offer two different alternative designs for the ailerons/flaps I would like to get your advice.

Both ailerons/flaps designs are of the Frise type. Leaving aside aesthetic preferences, in order to chose one or the other option I would rather concentrate in the one which gives better STOL performance.

Option A features:
  • cleaner hinge fitting
  • tighter gap between aileron/flap and the wing trailing edge (which may not be of advantage, though)
  • easier construction
ribs_frise_OPT_A.jpg

Option B features:
  • circa 18% lighter, meaning some 12oz saving for the set of 2 ailerons + 2 flaps
  • slightly greater area
  • a better airfoil?
ribs_frise_OPT_B.jpg

I will be grateful to hear your comments and suggestions on the way to proceed.
Thank you,

Oscar

Back