Fresh Air Mask- Supplied Air Mask

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by proppastie, Nov 3, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 26, 2018 #21

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

There was a full face-mask, which is different to me than a hood, ..... Does the air just spill out the bottom, in the full mask I assume there is an outflow valve.

2. Oct 26, 2018 #22

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

3. Oct 26, 2018 #23

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

The true CPAP air pumps used by people with sleep apnea are quiet and reliable. Folks frequently swap perfectly good ones out ("doctor says I need the newer model, and insurance is paying for it, so why not . . "). They come with a short (6' ?) but very flexible hose. It would be a good device to put outside to push fresh air into a full-face hood. Maybe check with a sleep clinic (there are lots o them) and see if they have any or know of anyone who as an old one.

4. Oct 27, 2018 #24

lr27

lr27

lr27

I had to repair the membrane switches on my first one, then got a replacement because the corrosion on the heater was getting to be a real problem. I used heat transfer grease for a while, but that was kind of icky. Judging by the prices on Craigslist and my positive experience with 45 mm fans, I wouldn't use a CPAP for this unless it was really inexpensive. OTOH, I've seen a surplus CPAP air pump offered on some web site or other. Maybe it would work with an RC brushless speed control or something.

5. Oct 28, 2018 #25

wmax351

wmax351

wmax351

I think stuff harvested from a cpap could be a really good source of a pump. They definitely show up at thrift shops, and I doubt the pump itself is what wears out. A cheap pwm controller could run the pump. You could overdrive the pump as well, since you don't need it to last 8 hours a day for several years.

The hose plugs in to a port on top of the head, so it blows down over your face. The hose is usually part of the air supply unit.

For the hoods, the air flows out the bottom. Usually would get taped into a tyvek suit, but it isn't needed per se. Could also put the hood on first, then the tyvek goes over the hood. There's enough airflow that it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    proppastie likes this.
  6. Oct 30, 2018 #26

jmt1991

jmt1991

jmt1991

The hood totally encloses your head and neck, down to you shoulders.
    The air enters the rear of the hood and inflates a collar at the bottom of it, and then the air flows over your head.
    If I shrug my shoulders or change positions so that my shoulders move up, the hood will move up off of my head, which is probably my fault for not having the headpiece tight enough.
    When it does that, I just push it back down into position.
    The large expense is in the blower and hoses. The hood and face mask are relatively cheap, and you can use either one with the setup.
    The Ebay hood appears to just be a hood, with no breathing apparatus.

7. Oct 30, 2018 #27

lr27

lr27

lr27

I don't think there's a need to overdrive the CPAP unless the hose is very long or you're running more than one mask. My CPAP, at least, can push a lot of air if the pressure drops well below what it's set at. I suppose if it was a hot day, you could ventilate your Tyvek suit or something.