• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Frequent trailer transport and damage to a wooden motorglider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SundayFlyboy97

Hello everyone,

I am in a bit of a situation where me and my friend own a motorglider and all of a sudden he wants to get out of the deal (and either wants to sell or me to buy his half) because he believes that the glider is too old and that the wooden structure will fail (its a 1959 sdz 12a moto mucha with 503 engine, climbs well and handles well). We got it cheaply in fair condition and I mostly would like to keep it.

The problem is multifactorial now for me. Firstly, the hangar is very expensive and for myself alone who flies mostly about once a month doesnt make a lot of sense to keep it in there (I would pay off complete airplane in 2 years worth of hangaring), especially considering the airstrip is basically a swamp between November and May. Also, since the hangar is completely stuffed, other people are constantly moving our plane around and I worry it will get damaged (not too mention that water is also dripping from the roof constantly inside).

Second of all, there are repairs to be made, as wing and airbrakes suffered damage due to improper handling (2 ribs at the trailing edge broke and airbrakes are not going all the way in). I cant do anything while the airplane is in the hangar and must transport it to my workshop.

My question would be, if I was going to transport it, say 10-15 times a year on my trailer from home to the airstrip, that would be roughly 800 miles on the road per year, does that pose significant risk of damaging the aircraft (old 15m wooden glider), especially the wings?

The alternative is finding a new airport closer to home but currently there arent any so that option is out of the question right now.

Back