French Military Aviation TV show from the '60s

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv6ejguy

Supporting Member
I used to watch this as a kid growing up and thought the Mirages were so cool. Rediscovered on YouTube recently. 50 years on, I look at it a bit differently but it brings back some good memories and was one more step in keeping me crazy about airplanes.

The stories are pretty cheezy, some of the acting pretty lame and if this were real, our intrepid pilots here would have been booted out of the service for ejecting every third flight it seems, but it has some good footage of French aviation from the era.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk3HTY378CNpV4JfLXfcDNQ/videos Thoughtfully subtitled for us folks weak in the French language.

Last edited:

PTAirco

In the same vein, I remember watching Spencer's Piloten in Germany as a kid. Loved it. I can only find the German version of it on youtube and as far as I know it was never on British TV either. It was all filmed around Brackett airport here, close to where I live now. If I had known back then I'd one day fly the same skies as Spencer's Pilots!

Wanttaja

Lest we forget "Wings", a BBC series from the '70s depicting the early days of WWI aviation. Not to be confused with the later American comedy series.

The whole thing is available on YouTube....

One fun bit of trivia: The young star is Tim Woodward, who later played Squadron Leader Rex in "Piece of Cake."

Ron Wanttaja

TiPi

Supporting Member
I used to watch this as a kid growing up and thought the Mirages were so cool. Rediscovered on YouTube recently. 50 years on, I look at it a bit differently but it brings back some good memories and was one more step in keeping me crazy about airplanes.

The stories are pretty cheezy, some of the acting pretty lame and if this were real, our intrepid pilots here would have been booted out of the service for ejecting every third flight it seems, but it has some good footage of French aviation from the era.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk3HTY378CNpV4JfLXfcDNQ/videos Thoughtfully subtitled for us folks weak in the French language.
Have watched the full series. Quite some good (and also not so good) flying scenes. Interesting to see so many of the 50s and early 60s military and civilian planes in action. Polished my French a bit, too.