Freedom Master AirSharkII

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I had always thought that the Osprey looked a little short on freeboard, but had never seen how low it actually sat in the water. Now, I know.

Billski

AirSharkII

Here is a link to a short clip of the AirShark taking off from the water. The Second takeoff was with three people aboard and a 200hp Lyc. This was before a chine modification was installed. You can see she struggles to get on the step due to the high drag of the wing in the water. Extra hp should improve climbing up on the step and improvements in the hull can reduce the initial drag. The Second link is a water landing. The video is poor quality copied from a twenty year old VHS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Merlin_FAC

The AirShark design was associated with Ron Lueck, who's now known as the head of CompAir (or is it AeroComp? I can't ever remember). You might wanna get in touch and see if he can help you out at all, they're still at Merritt Island airport. I remember seeing the AS when it was new, and thinking (I was in college and had a co-op job with another manufacturer of composite aircraft at the time) that it was designed all wrong... it was made just like you would build an aluminum aircraft (wing ribs and all), but executed in fiberglass. All that structure seemed, to me, to really lose most of the advantages of using composites as a result that I was used to (like shaped foam wing cores) and require a lot of excess work, not that I was an "expert" on the subject. That being said, don't remember hearing anything bad about the strength or such as a result. I seem to recall being told that it ended up simply too small for a lot of folks to be able to fit into comfortably, but hey, it was a couple of decades to go so I might be remembering that part wrong.

If you want to see the original AirShark prototype, it still exists today. Once it was decided that it should never fly again, it ended up stuck on a pole as a playground decoration at a day-care center on Malabar Road in Malabar, FL (sorry, don't know the name of the place off the top of my head). Sad fate for an interesting design, but better than going to the landfill I suppose. It is visible from the road.

AirSharkII

I've tried to contact Ron several times a few months back, but have not heard from him yet. I have talked to quite a few folks who were involved with him back then, including a builder who logged about 40 hrs on his Airshark before it was destroyed in a wake turbulence incident in Georgia. He reported his airplane had good flying qualities. I have also heard from a good source that Ron is finishing an Airshark airframe at their Merritt Island shop. It would be good to know what sort of changes he has made to the design.

AirSharkII

I tracked down the Florida Airshark. It's not Ron Lueck who's finishing the airplane, but a builder who acquired a partial airframe a few years ago. It sounds like he's begun taxi tests. 90% done 90% to go, right:) I'm anxious to see it fly.

AirSharkII

As I dive through the books, I have been playing with some preliminary sketches of what I would like to achieve with the AirShark. I've moved the stabilizer to the top of the vertical fin to increase rudder area, increase moment, yet retain the looks I think the AirShark should have. The flaps are quite a bit larger so I suppose tail volume will need be increased quite a bit(seems to be about 0.61 now).

Ram Engineering is offering a Supercharged EA81 (170Hp) which may work out for an engine choice. Aero Engines

Let me know if I'm moving in the right direction.

Attachments

Last edited:

Richard Schubert

:rolleyes:

Well, I came to talk with the Russian guy because of the BE-103:
The low wing really does work and the very moment it doesn't anymore; well you can't land a high-wing then either :)

There is one for sale on ebay, crashed by the company pilot on landing during a demo flight, not the best advertisement. :rolleyes:

Sticky1

Yep, he should have stuck with his seawind....

You might want to check your figures re weight. Swapping an IO540 for a Walther I belive was approx 200 lbs in favor of the turbo prop. A turbo prop might be a viable powerplant. Visit planemakers.com and ask them.

AirSharkII

Well, I came to talk with the Russian guy because of the BE-103:

The low wing really does work and the very moment it doesn't anymore; well you can't land a high-wing then either :)

How about your design; was it designed from the start to absorb the loads of a 500 lbs, 250 hp engine?
We haven't done the analysis of the pylon yet, but here are a couple of pics of an AirShark that cartwheeled down a runway after a wake turbulence accident.

Attachments

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
While reading some of my old Sport Aviation collection today I came across an article on the FM. I didn't read the article but it was an old magazine and I assume it was its debut appearance. If you havent seen it and are interested let me know and I'll scan it.
-Todd

AirSharkII

Some old video of the P-300 push/pull model and the Equator P-300 full scale single.

Woodenwings

I say keep pushing! contact dornier - and ask them for advice. it sounds crazy but you would be surprised how helpful they can be. they know we hombuilders are not competition and are happy to inspire others.

There is way too much psudo engineering in this string. If you want a 3D cad file of the rotax 914 engine and some very good technical advice i can put you in contact with a very smart fellow in B.C.

Depending on your budget you may want to look into Orenda engines (canada), and even the Chevy V8 conversions being made for the sea-bee. also canadian!

Good luck and don't give up!

Shane

Rick McWilliams

The flaps on the airshark must be very stout. At 50 knots the dynamic pressure is about 5000 lbs per square foot.

I fly a Mermaid M6. It is a mid wing configuration. Water take off performance is excellent. I bent an inboard flap rib by using too much flap in rough water.

Attachments

AirSharkII

I say keep pushing! contact dornier - and ask them for advice. it sounds crazy but you would be surprised how helpful they can be. they know we hombuilders are not competition and are happy to inspire others.

There is way too much psudo engineering in this string. If you want a 3D cad file of the rotax 914 engine and some very good technical advice i can put you in contact with a very smart fellow in B.C.

Depending on your budget you may want to look into Orenda engines (canada), and even the Chevy V8 conversions being made for the sea-bee. also canadian!

I got a chance to fly the DO-24 with Iren Dornier(grandson) a few years ago. We traded stick time in my SeaRey. I think I got the better end of the deal.! Iren showed great interest in the SeaRey then, which inspired his S-Ray 007 design. I 'll try to give him call and see what his thoughts are on this project.

Attachments

AirSharkII

The flaps on the airshark must be very stout. At 50 knots the dynamic pressure is about 5000 lbs per square foot.

I fly a Mermaid M6. It is a mid wing configuration. Water take off performance is excellent. I bent an inboard flap rib by using too much flap in rough water.

The AirShark is restricted to flap 15* for take off and landing(water) and even then only when on the step. Flaps are standard construction. The hull will be lowered 4" to improve cabin height, displacment, and flap clearance.

Last edited:

Woodenwings

I got a chance to fly the DO-24 with Iren Dornier(grandson) a few years ago. We traded stick time in my SeaRey. I think I got the better end of the deal.! Iren showed great interest in the SeaRey then, which inspired his S-Ray 007 design. I 'll try to give him call and see what his thoughts are on this project.

Please pass along my regards to Iren, we have never met, but his grandfather's efforts have inspired me too! I think Iren's commitment to his family legacy is very commendable.

Great pictures! I'm totally jealous!
Shane