free builders log: We Build Planes

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by mstratman, Sep 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 27, 2019 #1

mstratman

mstratman

mstratman

If you'd like a free site to post pics about your build - flying or in progress - keep a log, and eventually connect with other builders more easily (those features are a WIP), We Build Planes is up and running now: https://webuildplanes.com/

Great feedback so far. Let me know if you have any questions, and definitely send feedback if you start using it. I've been incorporating a lot of great suggestions and would love to hear more.

FYI - This is a "soft" launch with features for building your own log. Community-wide interaction features aren't yet rolled out.

bmcj likes this.
  2. Sep 28, 2019 #2

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

Is this just for homebuilts, or could a body use it for restorations, too?

3. Sep 28, 2019 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

The field is littered with previous web sites promoted as places where people can log their build. When these sites go belly up, users are left scrambling to reconstruct their logs. Oops--the data is gone, good luck retrieving it to satisfy the DAR and maybe the next buyer.
    This new web sit might be just absolutely fantastic. But I would caution anyone to maintain their own records so they can rebuild their log if the bright idea later goes dark--as has happened before.

Good luck with your endeavor.

bmcj likes this.
  4. Sep 28, 2019 #4

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

As far as Free, we have that right here on HBA. Although not actually a log, more of a Blog.

And when someone offers something for free on the WWW, doesn't it usually involve annoying advertisements?

5. Oct 2, 2019 #5

mstratman

mstratman

mstratman

You can definitely use it for restorations, too.
    In progress or flying.

6. Oct 2, 2019 #6

mstratman

mstratman

mstratman

These are definitely valid concerns, and I'm a builder too so I completely get it. I take very seriously the longevity and integrity of peoples' logs.

I have several layers of safety nets:

1. I'm (as we speak) adding the ability for you to export your entries and photos.
      1. full-page static html, so you can simply post it anywhere else online and instantly have your log back up. Zero technical integration required (you can even open and print from your desktop)
      2. html snippets (i.e. no header or footer), so you can drop it into an existing template and host wherever you want
      3. JSON data files including all the metadata, for the more technically inclined
    2. Behind the scenes, images and database are backed up to multiple data centers for redundancy
    3. If I ever need to shut down the site (unlikely, but it's a valid concern), in addition to having the most generous sunset period I can afford:
      1. I'll bundle up your site as described above, store it to Drive, or Dropbox or wherever, indefinitely
      2. I'll email you a link to it
      3. I'll make the github repos for the software public, and release it under an open source license that will allow somebody else, if they're inclined, to pick up where I left off.
    4. In addition to exporting your site, I'm also exploring options for providing an attractive print-out as well

mcrae0104 and ScaleBirdsScott like this.
  7. Oct 2, 2019 #7

mstratman

mstratman

mstratman

Nothing's truly free, of course. I always like to say (regarding Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, etc) "If you're not paying for the 'product' you're using, you ARE the product." That's only half true here, though...

This is costing me very real money out of my pocket, which I'm okay with for now because I feel so passionately about the need for such a tool and surrounding community, but I do need to start covering costs soon.
    • I can't rule out advertising (i.e. "you're the product"), but it's definitely last on my list. If I go this route, I'd much rather get kit manufacturers and engine/parts/supplier companies involved in more meaningful ways
      • e.g. hosting builder support sites for those companies where they can share tips and tricks, knowledgebase, etc.
      • They could also pay to get mutually-beneficial valuable content put in front of the right people (ads, yes, but useful ones); e.g. Builders of Kit X would benefit from seeing an authoritative set of instructions and videos for integrating Engine Y, and the engine company could get some customers they wouldn't have otherwise reached
    • I'll be adding optional, pay what you want/can subscriptions. I want this to be free for anyone who wants to use it, but after the positive feedback that has been rolling in, I suspect there are more than a few people who can afford and wouldn't mind paying dues to help keep this running
    • Classifieds (i.e. sellers pay a fee to list planes/kits/parts). The existing options out there today aren't very good. The predominant site is so because it has critical mass of users, not because it's necessarily the best site. If we can get enough users on the site, I can easily make a FAR FAR better classifieds ads experience for both buyers and sellers.
    These certainly aren't the only options, but I'm committed to this being a first-class, valuable resource for builders first and foremost. I don't want annoying ads to ruin that.

8. Oct 2, 2019 #8

narfi

narfi

narfi

For non technical users, a simple PDF download would probably be ideal.

9. Oct 3, 2019 #9

sharpvector

sharpvector

sharpvector

Your Builders log looks interesting, well thought out and useful.

FYI, EAA just came out with a free builder's log too. (Although, it's for members only).

https://eaabuilderslog.org/

10. Oct 7, 2019 #10

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

No free viewing of other people's builds without an account?

11. Oct 7, 2019 #11

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

That's an outrageous acusation, almost as outrageous as a 10.5 Oz jar of Nescafe Classic Dark Roast Coffee, a premium full-bodied, dark-roast instant coffee, on special now for only $7.50 at a Walmart store near you.

Groundhog Gravy, Vigilant1 and BJC like this.
  12. Oct 7, 2019 #12

AdrianS

AdrianS

AdrianS

Back when I bought magazines more regularly, the classified ads were part of the fun. I fantasy bought a lot of cars and boats, sneered privately at some outrageous prices or dodgy bodywork...
    And the full page glossies at least had some nice photographs.

Why has web advertising never worked this way?

cheapracer likes this.
  13. Oct 7, 2019 #13

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

You've never had adds pop up hiding content?

14. Oct 7, 2019 #14

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

LOL, when I still had Windows 3.0, I was first on the block with cable, 700+ MB per second (early 90s remember), I had to pull the plug out of the wall to stop the pop-ups sometimes!

15. Oct 9, 2019 at 5:40 AM #15

rdj

rdj

rdj

The issue I have with all these build logs is they are essentially stand-alone silos, with a tendency to come and go. What I'd really like to see is a decent build log API (SOAP/RESTful) that would allow other online resources to query them and extract useful info. For example, since I'm doing my own build log on my own personal website, it would be nice to be able to query other sites (no matter whether they're other personal sites or aggregated build log sites) for other builders of my particular plane (Zenith) and display pertinent info on my site. And vice-versa. mstratman mentions JSON, which would work will with a RESTful API.