"FREE" AV-36 and AV-361 plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
Due to multiple parameters in my life, some of which none of us have control over, it has become quite obvious to me that I'll probably never be able to build an AV of my own. This means that there is no way I can ethically offer any plans to an aircraft that has not been built and properly tested. Maybe someday in the future.....................?

So rather than create yet another dead end for the AV-36/361 flying wings I've decided it is time to make the plans available to those that may have the desire and facilities to build one. Preserving the design and the plans was always a significant part of my motivation, though making a few dollars would have been nice.

Plans are now available for download under a Creative Commons License for non commercial use. Donations via PayPal, Bitcoin or Ethereum will be graciously accepted. No support will be provided for the free downloads. Funds generated will be used to maintain the web site and the related flying wing website at GroupsIo

Download from this site:
Flyingwings.guru

proppastie

Log Member
my thoughts on this before you fix it ......much as I like free stuff.....the original plans were sold for $xxxx .....without changing them are they still worth something.....do you really need to provide support for the original plans in order to sell them "as is" ......I can understand your point of view.....but if you do not make the cad redraw any issues are Fauvels or Falconar's problem?

course how you will protect your property after it is downloaded is always an issue...but maybe at say $5 it will be too much trouble for someone else to market?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
course how you will protect your property after it is downloaded is always an issue...but maybe at say $5 it will be too much trouble for someone else to market?
I looked at several ways to protect electronic versions. I could find nothing that had an acceptable security/price ratio.

At this point all I really would like is that no one pays for the files from some Russian pirate site. The files I posted are little more than slightly cleaned up originals and the manuals reproduced using OCR for the grunt work. I did post a couple of PDFs of the full size CAD generated rib templates (with scaled references). Fauvel's method was rather tedious and hard to figure out. Maybe someone can actually benefit from the work...........

proppastie

Log Member
Thank you....download link next to line about paypal was confusing to me as I thought it was about paypal and did not click it except as a last resort......

proppastie

Log Member
as one that used to make drawings for a living....the amount of hours involved with just making the drawings is enormous .......not the mention the fab of the aircraft.....a fitting retirement project to make one of these....or a large number of people group build....no wonder the kit plane is more popular.

so why are all the PDF mirrored.....I guess it is because of making the JPG and the scanning?......

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
so why are all the PDF mirrored.....I guess it is because of making the JPG and the scanning?......
That is the way I got them from Falconar and some are even negative. The PDFs are exactly as I received them from Staples after they copied the ratty original masters. It's simple enough to run them throug a program like MS Paint to invert them after converting to *.JPG or *.TIFF. I - think - all of the *.JPG versions of the files I posted have been corrected?

I'm not a web designer guy so this little project took most of the long weekend for me. The local 'el-cheapo' local web company wanted more than I paid for the rights to build a web site of about the same complexity so I had to brush up some on my web software. The cell phone version is still not really formatted well.

I'll go back and review the posted files later to make sure there is at least one properly formatted version of each drawing. I may post the cleaned and reformatted sheets with my part numbers at some point in the future. I've got a few hundered hours invested in those that I'm not quite ready to part with in digital form...........

Rob de Bie

Hot Wings, thanks for your generosity. I downloaded the drawing set for study purposes. Because I could not mirror the drawings as PDFs, I exported them to hi-res and high quality JPG, and then did the mirroring and rotating. I also 'inverted' the ones that were in reverse colors. Maybe you want this set, to post them as a download? The set is ~660 MB.

This is the list of drawings that I have now. The gap between #20 and #31 is slightly confusing.

AV36 drawing 01 - wing assembly
AV36 drawing 02 - rib section
AV36 drawing 03 - fin & rudder
AV36 drawing 04A - fuselage (inverted original)
AV36 drawing 04A - fuselage
AV36 drawing 04B - landing skid & towline
AV36 drawing 05 - fuselage frames (inverted original)
AV36 drawing 05 - fuselage frames
AV36 drawing 06 - controls
AV36 drawing 07 - controls details
AV36 drawing 08 - accessoires
AV36 drawing 09 - air brakes complement (inverted original)
AV36 drawing 09 - air brakes complement
AV36 drawing 10 - corrections
AV36 drawing 11 - modification for construction in Canada and USA
AV36 drawing 12 - quick dismantling wing fittings at rib 16
AV36 drawing 13 - quick dismantling wing fittings at rib 16
AV36 drawing 14 - cockpit type C blown canopy
AV36 drawing 20 - coordinates
AV361 drawing 31 - standard class sailplane (3 view)
AV361 drawing 32 - main spar & false spar
AV361 drawing 33 - ribs
AV361 drawing 34 - fuselage bulkheads
AV361 drawing 35 - fuselage longerons
AV361 drawing 36 - ribs 8 10 12 14 16
AV361 drawing 37 - airbrake box
AV361 drawing 38 - airbrake control arm
AV361 drawing 39 - formers canopy frame
AV361 drawing 40 - canopy fairing rib #1
AV361 drawing 41 - pylon assembly
AV361 drawing 42 - airbrake control
AV361 drawing 43 - elevator (copy 1)
AV361 drawing 43 - elevator (copy 2)
AV361 drawing 43 - elevator (copy 3)
AV361 drawing 44 - nose ribs
AV361 drawing 45 - fin mounting
AV361 drawing 46 - fin rudder assembly

Rob

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
Log Member
The gap between #20 and #31 is slightly confusing.
That is just the way of the plans from Falconar Avia. 🤷‍♂️
The trend, unfortunately, gets carried over at the sheet level. There never was a fixed North American version of the AV's. As near as I can tell it was a work in progress with the plans being a collection of modifications to the base AV-36.
One of the manuals has a listing of the sheets that came from Falconar Avia originally. I've also included some other files I managed to find, mostly from French sources, that help clarify the North American version of the plans.

Thanks for the offer!
But I already have high resolution *.TIFF from the scans.
The JPG files are high resolution JPGs from my TIFF conversions of the raw PDF scans. The are all converted from blue print/negative and are un-mirrored. They take up a little less space than the *.TIFF but view and print just as well.
The only reason I posted the raw scans is so that there is a base line available to cross check with any new versions of the plans. My CAD indicates there are some mistakes in the originals......but my CAD could just as easily be wrong.;)

If you haven't already joined the Flying Wings group at GroupsIO I'd suggest doing that so all of us interested in the AVs can benefit from our interactions. Subgroup for AVs.
I don't really know what our group file storage limit is but if you want to try to try to post your converted files there in ZIP format I'd have no objections.