Free Airplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hawk81A

I seem to recall seeing pressure on the fuel pressure gauge. When the plugs were out, how hard would it have been to have placed one on top of a ground and hand spun the prop to check for spark. Again, a lot of drama. Still, I'm waiting for the 3rd video. Dennis

TFF

For views, those are his only million sellers, but he looks like there is core followers. Small
Cash cow for him compared to most of his videos. I can’t watch someone who doesn’t seem to know, and is just feeling around. He needs bird nests on fire or something. That and he has moved into a hangar. Outside in the cold has some credibility. It’s going to get more boring soon. He has gotten serious. He also needs to learn what a Schrader valve is. As much as people want to see content, he needs to edit it into an least some fun failures like backfires and oil spills. These things are staged by the best shows even if it’s first time.

Hawk81A

He's added part 3 and someone's trying to buy it from the owner for 20K

TFF

I watched some of that one. He doesn’t know what he is doing. He is hoping it will run. Everything he has checked was not really checked. I think he tried to check for fuel at the injectors with mixture close and throttle closed. He looked inside to see the points of the mag and called it good. If he is trying to make this a 20 episode show, it’s not going anywhere. He needs some hints.

TFF

Damaged or lost airworthiness certificate replaced. Date of paperwork filed.

With that being fresh, there must be an eye to sell it anyway. I know of a couple of free planes. Free is a technicality. Horse trading of something. Things or services. I’m sure it’s free to get running and he gets a piece of the action if it sells because of his work. Really free? It’s not his.

Hawk81A

I remember being offered a free plane back in the 70s. Somewhere up north, and it needed recovering (maybe a T-craft?). Wasn't interested. My dad had a few offers for free planes - pay back hangar or tie down fees, pay annual, pay "get it flying" and ferry fees. He never was interested either.
As far as this guy, it seems the only thing he knows is that he wants plenty of viewers (yeah, I'll watch a few more).
For myself, my last "big" resurrection was a (free) 1983 Yamaha 1200 that had been sitting for 16 years. I started with: "Will it turn over?" jump started (yes - and sounded like it had compression). Does it have spark? (yes). Dump a little gas down the intake - yes, it ran. From there I started investing money. Battery, gas tank (original rusted thhrough), hydraulics (brakes - clutch), carb removal, cleaning. Got it drivable and spent a little more. Drove it a few hundred miles and the gremlins of storage started showing up as the multiple bells and whistles started appearing (cruise, air ride, etc). I sold it for what I had put into it. Maybe I should have made a Youtube video... Dennis

Last edited:

Jim Chuk

The FAA requires that the registration be updated every three years. (costs $5.00) If you notice the experation date of the registration, it is three years later then the issue date. Look up some other airplane's N# and you will see the same thing

Jim Chuk

The comment I made yesterday to this topic is somewhat incorrect. The issue date is actually when the plane's registration was put into the current owner's name. I just checked on two of my planes and see that is the case. Perhaps the current owner let the plane's registration lapse and then renewed it. Otherwise, maybe it was sold to someone who registered it in 2020.

Jim Chuk

or it can be a renewal. Registrations now have periodic renewal, the most recent renewal is what the registry shows.

That is what I stated in my earlier comment. But I believe that is wrong as I stated in my last post. Notice that the issue date and expireration date are 3 years apart, which is just how often you have to renew the registration. But as I said in my last post, when I checked the registration on my Avid Flyer, and Kitfox, the issue date for the Avid was 2007, and the Kitfox was 2014. Those were the years I bought and registered those planes. I just now looked at my Piper Colt registration which went into my name in March of 2021, and it's registration expires in March of 2024, 3 years later. I believe that it was more than renewing the registration on the "free plane"

tntav8r

I was given a free airplane project. Old friend in PA scratch, plans built Zenith 600 ( Before the 601). Had med problems and knew he would never fly it and called and told me that if I didn't come and haul it away in 2 weeks he was going to cut it up and scrap it. Needed the ailerons built and firewall forward.
I have it stored in my son's workshop.
Pops, if you decide not to finish it, I know of someone that would be interested in it...

Pops

Log Member
Pops, if you decide not to finish it, I know of someone that would be interested in it...
Gave it to a grandson and enough parts to build a Cont- A-75 engine. I built an engine mount for the A-75 for it. If I get caught up on my projects , I might go ahead and finish it for him.
Projects keep piling up. Need to finish painting new doors for my 1981 Chevy 3/4 ton truck, also decided to take the 4 speed standard transmission out and put a 350 Turbo transmission in to make it easier to drive with my bad left leg. Starting to rebuild the transmission.
About the time I get rid of a project, another one jumps up.